Tempting fate 2

treff

MY, my, oh my. Was I tempting the fates. Learned a big lesson, very big lesson. DO NOT BUY CHEAP MAIN BLADES!
Some time ago, I think nearly two months I brought some main blades from China via Ebay. The looked okay and were
50 pence each. That's cheap. Well they arrived this morning and during repairs to my heli I decided to give them ago.
Well they seemed okay. Did a little hovering and then decided to do a straight fastish run away from me the idea was a fast turn then back.
I got to the turn I pulled a little elevator ready for the banked turn. There was a big bang! and the heli disintegrated before it hit the ground.
One of the cheap blade had SNAPPED in half. The worst is to come. The half that broke off travelled over 200 feet and hit the window of a house.
Thank God there was no one injured.
The heli is a complete write off. Frame broke in half, even the battery is gone. I've never seen so much damage. I took a close look at the blades
and they were balsa wood skinned very lightly with glass fibre.
They say rebuild and fly again. This case there is nothing worth rebuilding just a load of junk bits left.

Last edited:

EyeStation

That Sux Big Time!
Post some pictures of the damage and the vendor you bought those from. I think we can all learn a lesson from this.
I would personally put up negative feedback on the E-Bay vendor. No reason anybody else should risk getting hurt or maimed.

Dirk

Oh man Treff! I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. It always pays to rather pay more and get some decent blades.

Stambo

That Sux Big Time!
Post some pictures of the damage and the vendor you bought those from. I think we can all learn a lesson from this.
I would personally put up negative feedback on the E-Bay vendor. No reason anybody else should risk getting hurt or maimed.

I totally agree with this, especially the negative feedback.
So lucky no one got hurt, it could have so easily been much worse.
You have to be careful when buying rotating knives, there are cheap enough ones out there that won't break the bank.
You can get CF seconds from HK and many other places, generally they have a cosmetic problem so they don't look quite as good as the first tier ones but work just as well.
Unfortunately it sounds like you don't have a bird to put them on.
Crashes are bad enough when you know it's your own fault but equipment failure sux.

Last edited:

danhampson

sorry to hear that Treff.
Ive looked at the chinese blades on ebay but always end up getting good blades that are cheap, i just dont trust the chinese quality control.
fast-lad and midland helis both do align seconds, last time i picked up some mavrikk g5 pro to try they where only 20 quid

Last edited:

treff

Many thanks to all for the replies. Yes lesson learned. I usually buy seconds from Align but could not resist 3 sets of blades for £1.50. Will I ever Learn LOL. Still looking on the brighter side of things
I will be looking around for a new heli. Nothing expensive but something to continue learning. Just when I was getting the hang of these dang infernal machines LOL.

Top Bottom