450 Tail wag

Slobberdog

While flying tonight I had some issues with tail wag, not just a slight wag but about 5 - 6 inches of wag while in hover, was not doing it all the time but you could be hovering then get the wag, put the bird down and start again up into hover then wag after no set time.

Got new tail servo on way anyway, ds425m, as well as new main shaft as slight bend I think, just not quite good enough for me,

Oh and took off training gear.

Lee

What has changed to make it wag? Did you adjust a setting or mechanically do something ?

Slobberdog

Nope it was like it got interference then just wagged, will have a look tomorrow after work and see if there's anything loose or binding or something, might just be some bad vibes. But did not wag constantly, just weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Come to think of it when I took the last battery off gyro light was flashing.......

Slobberdog

Well just spent an hour going over the old bird, and guess what, loose tail blade holder, it was slightly loose on the hub, so took it apart and rebuilt it again with more thread lock, seamed like it was just that one screw, you live and learn,

The gremlins were defo in our hall last night not one heli flown without a problem, high well maybe low point, one 250 snapped feathering shaft with blades going across the hall, lucky it was on spool up and not idle up......

Tony

Staff member
Storing the gyro... Just don't go throwing the heli somewhere when you are done. Hard crashes will kill the gyro as will something like a picture frame falling directly on it. Just store it where you normally would and everythign should be okay. My 600 is out in the garage right now and I have no worries about the gyro in it.

And it sucks about the flying and all of the issues. But, those days happen, we have all been there. Adn that 250, that just sucks. Did the shaft break or were the screws loose? Speaking of loose feathering shaft screws, I need to do them in the 600, this just reminded me that I never put thread lock in the head when I rebuilt it since I had to take it apart again... Tail too lmao. Good thing I can fly in the dark I guess. Might have been hit by the blades flying off.

Slobberdog

Just an update to the wag, well it did not manifest itself tonight, two batteries about twelve mins total time so seems like all is good,

As it was going well on first battery, on second battery took Lee's advice and flatted my throttle curve off after mid stick to 70%, felt like loads more head speed than I had before, and quite intimidating, but when off the ground felt a little more stable, SO took my expo down to 25% and it felt a lot better in my hands as with 35% felt a little to slow and sticky.

Well guys see what you think

[video=youtube_share;8jW8IpEmYKU]http://youtu.be/8jW8IpEmYKU[/video]

Sorry for shakes on camera but again its strapped to my tx,

Slobberdog

Lee thanks, been using the 100x a lot over the past few days and the higher expo just felt really slow in my hands, 100 was freaking excellent fun in the big hall tonight, but dam it can shift for a little thing,

got to get a new gyro soon tail just not quite good enough for me, but will just keep learning on with this until it really pees me off, lol, you never know might find a super combo come along instead.......

Slobberdog

Yeah it is slightly got the new servo here but am holding out putting it on till I decide what to do with the gyro, as you all say cheap gyro and servo is a must...........NOT!!!!

Slobberdog

Hey Westy, got it on the bench yesterday, took out main shaft and there was a slight bend in it, and when I mean slight I recon without measuring it had to be lest than .5mm, but on spool up it defo had a wobble, had the pack of new shafts anyway so changed it out.

Well got it all back together and thought I would try it out, but blooming cold over here with some snow and a good helping of wind, so the garage it had to be, so gentle spool up and just a couple if inches of the floor, not enough room to really hover, but less tail movement and got rid of the head wobble that was there with the old shaft,

I just recon this blooming gyro is just like a woman, sensitive that is,

Will let all know what the outcome really is when I have a chance to get to hover it outside, if the wind gets to die down a bit

Westy

LEGEND
good stuff .... what gyro are you running ... the tail servo is nice ..... would be a shame to tryto get it to perform on a "CAN" (Cheap & Nasty) Gyro LOL

Slobberdog

Yeah that's what I thought, The Align servo is nice, and hence why I have not used it yet, its a guang something Chinese clone 401b don't know what settings are for the digi imput freq so have not put it on the heli for risk of knackering it up, got my eyes on a quark on eBay at the moment, so it's a waiting game at the moment,

So set up is CAN clone gyro and tower pro el cheapo servo,

Westy

LEGEND
man .... you should ditch it.... you can buy awesome gyro's like Curtis young blood mini G s/h for 25 bucks in perfect working order!!!!!. everyone is dumping them to get FBL ..... you might as well jump on one or 3 to add to your collection..... I got awesome performance out of mine!

Slobberdog

Working on he new gyro front, thanks for the tip, but none around over here, only new and at at equivalent of 160 bucks bit more than I want to put into a gyro at the moment, hopefully this quark will work out later.

I think us Brits over here had the futaba 401b faze seemed to be the most popular gyro,

Westy

LEGEND
Get it shipped from the US .... I do .,.... all the time! we are futher than you ..... I paid 20 - 25 bucks plus freight ..... I will see if I can find some ....

Hang on .....

Tony

Staff member
You have a Quark, and you are not using it? I may have missed it, but WHY???? That is a great gyro.

Slobberdog

No not quite but there is one on eBay at the moment with USB kit and only at about 8 bucks will keep you posted but should have it later tonight if I am lucky, will go up to the equivalent of 40 bucks ish to get it, after that would prefer a new one, with a guarantee

Tony

Staff member
Ah, okay.

Just an FYI, the 401's are ALL piezoelectric and they are not that stable if outside is hotter or colder than your house. You will have to let the gyro acclimate to the temp for about 15 minutes. If you don't, you will have a horrible drift and the tail wont' hold at all. With something like the Align gyros, or something like the Quark, they are MEMS gyros and are not effected by temp changes like the piezoelectric gyros are.

Top Bottom