450 Tail not locked in...:-(

trainrider06

ok this is pissing me off! My tail when powering up is uncontrollable the more I power it up!
When correcting it it will flick from side to side correct right, it flicks hard to the left, correct left flicks hard to right. This is the DS760 gyro, that was holding like a rock with my DX6i, but now that I've switched it over to the DX8 is being a pain! It acts like as soon as i try to lift off that it's gonna spin on me either way...I hate to give up on it because I know this thing holds like a rock, but I am missing something for sure I think.
My radio is set up on the Gyro as follows:
Pos 0: 0%
Pos 1 61%
Pos 2 0%

i've tried setting 1 higher lower, still the same result, if I go above 0 on Pos 0 it comes off HH mode.
I've noticed my pitch slider seems a bit off center from what it was also, it sits just a bit closer to the boom, (have not adjusted control rod, from where it was, and it was maxed out and turned all the way in on both ends in order to get the servo, slider all centered on the last radio....and servo sits 90)

Tony

Staff member
61 is a LOT of gain for the 8. I would lower that down to about 40 and go from there. Also, you may need to put some DR into the rudder for this gyro to tame it down. Lower it down to about 65% and see what that does.

trainrider06

i tried....I just took it off, tired of jacking with it. Have a Futaba GY401 laying around that was on it before...am just gonna stick that back on it. There is just something about that gyro and the DX8 that doesn't mesh I think. I am sure its some little known thing like the bind plug thing I had to do but I am just tired of jacking with it! Now I gotta remember how to set this GY401 up lol

Lee

Have you watched my gyro set up video?
Have a look and see if anything is amiss.

Last edited by a moderator:

trainrider06

Hi Lee, yes great video, and great presentation! I'd watched that video before and your absolutely right!
My gyro compensation was not correct I realized after I figured out how to get the DS760 into program mode.
But the way the DX8 and the DS760 interact and getting the DS760 into program mode
turned out to be a bigger problem. I could not figure out how to get my gyro into
program mode for all programming to be completed.
The one issue I had was getting the gyro into the part of programming of where I reversed the gyro of which needed reversed, because the heli was wanting to just spin like a top in both directions!
I finally got cross eyed and my eyes bled from searching for a solution tho getting the gyro into the program
of where it can be reversed, and gave up put an ol GY401 on it.
This gyro also needed reversed, but it was just simply flicking a switch on the gyro
in order to correct this. I love the Spartan DS760, though and it worked great
when controlled by my DX6i, even programming with my 6 I had issues with it getting
to the program function...(had to simply bind the heli with throttle stick held to the left
to get it where I could get into program mode).
I read that I can reverse the DS760 if I have the flash stick though.

hey ther..i dunno if ya got er fixed yet er not..but mayb its the same reason as mine was when in had that prob..i fixed it by reversing..or flip floppn ur reverse n normal switches..i clicked my gyro to reverse nnand in my tx..normal..if i had it he other way..whenever i gave the slightest input on rudder..it wood snap..i coodnt hold the tail strait even tho my tail slider was goin opposite of my input..

trainrider06

hey ther..i dunno if ya got er fixed yet er not..but mayb its the same reason as mine was when in had that prob..i fixed it by reversing..or flip floppn ur reverse n normal switches..i clicked my gyro to reverse nnand in my tx..normal..if i had it he other way..whenever i gave the slightest input on rudder..it wood snap..i coodnt hold the tail strait even tho my tail slider was goin opposite of my input..
Howdy bignatertater, yeah I got it fixed took the DS760 off and put an ol GY401
Futaba on it. Hated to do that, but I was swapping radios from a DX6i to a DX8,
and couldn't find a way to get into the gyro program to reverse the gyro, or properly
get my tail pitch end points worked out.
Was strange because with my DX6i I got it programmed just fine...
But she's airborn with the DX8 now, in fact was just out a bit ago doing blade tracking
adjustments on it, and it so far is flying pretty nice..
Thanks for checking in with the help!

awsome! glad ya got er straitnd out bud!..i had mine dialed in good..then "it"happnd..lol..lost my orientation again..zigged when i shooda zagged lol[video]https://youtu.be/_DIEEEZu4So[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

man i hate it when i do that lol

trainrider06

Awe man bummer...that sounded like that was gonna be some new parts ordered and repaired.
You might wanna take off always tail toward you too....land that way too.

leedude1

Got my 450 up today no wind at all and I tried to dial in the last settings before my maiden. Everything looked pretty good but I have a small wobble to the tail not sure if this is vibration driven or some other cause here's what I got:

DX6 (the new "talk to me" barbie version)
gyro = ar7200BX on gear channel and set at 40. I went to 45 and seemed to get a little more aggressive wobble... went to 35 and it would not spin the motor (not sure if there Is minimum? and it just cut off?) I just heard a whinning sound unsure if was from the motor or speed controller ...unplugged the battery reset to 40 and all was good..still had a small tight wobble.
I went to idle up 1 and the higher heads speed obviously made it more aggressive as well.
Main blades have been balanced... I have not balanced the tail blades and the tail blades are what I would consider tight as they do not move on their own at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

amastron

I once had a tail wobble on my TREX 500, wasn't real bad but was there. I found that slacking up on my drive belt took it away. I'm not sure if you have the belt version or not, if so try that and see if it helps.

leedude1

No , thanks but not belt driven you think maybe if my gear mess is too tight it may have the same effect?

Tony

Staff member
If it's a slow wag, raise your tail gain. If it's a fast wag, lower your tail gain. If it's an up and down kind of wobble, check your main and feathering shafts and make sure they are perfectly straight and make sure your blades are balanced.

leedude1

ill give it a shot tomorrow if the winds are the same (move it back down to 35) ... any idea on that not motor sound business? it was really weird I had landed it, dropped the gain to 35 then tried to take it off gain and got this whining sound and no rotor rotation at all,,,unplugged and kind of reset it... moved back to the 40 and all was good...flew 2 other packs just getting used to the feel and no more issues other than the tail,,,

Tony

Staff member
+35 is very low for a tail gain on the DX6. Raise that up to about +65 and try it there. If you have a fast wag, lower it to 60 and keep going down 5 until you get it stable.

leedude1

At 40 the AR7200BX was showing G on the display ..you still think I should try the 65 then work down, mine runs from -100 to +100 and not 0-100.

Will do, like I mentioned if the weather gods like me for once ill be out there in the morning.

Tony

Staff member
Dammit, I keep getting the numbers confused. The DX6i is 65 and the DX6 is 45. Sorry about that. These RTF bird are confusing me by not allowing me to touch my DX9 lol.

leedude1

K so Ill try the lower setting 35 then, as I tried the 45 and seemed a little more aggressive in the wag dept... let you know how it pans out my man.. Thanks as always... Out for the night sir

Tony

Staff member
Right on. It's all about testing, setting, testing, setting, and keep doing that until you find your settings. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Top Bottom