250 Tail moves when spooling up

pavotibio

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but since asking it isfor free I make it anyway.
I remember this didn´t happen the first time the heli took of but now, after the fixings I had to do cause of the crash, I notices that the tail moves like 45° ti the right when spooling up. It´s a sudden quick movement and then it stops and the heli takes off. Is this normal? The surface of the floor is pretty smooth yet the landing skid has these rubber thingys. Apart from that everything is normal.
I was reading other posts 'bout this small heli and found out many people are not a fan of it. The NIGHTMARE they call it. That´s funny cuz i really like mine. I started with 250 sized fixed pitch helis so I'm very used to them. Mark my words and hear me well when I tell you I shall prove the nightmare can fly!
Here´s some pics...only because I have them Lol!
BTW, I followed Tony and Marius' advice and changed the tail boom for a carbon fiber one.
saludos

DSC08143.jpgDSC08145.jpgDSC08147.jpgDSC08148.jpg

DSC08143.jpg

DSC08145.jpg

DSC08147.jpg

DSC08148.jpg

pavotibio

does the tail pitch slider slide smooth and is the tail output shaft straight?

They are indeed, my friend. I think I'm gonna take some closer pics and upload a video so you can have a better idea of the problem...cuz it´s not normal, right?
Cheers

murankar

Staff member
Well yes and no. It depends on the quality of the TX, ESC and the Gyro. All of those can cause a jerk on spool up. for the tail to jerk from 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock is something way different.

Have you flown it since the repairs, if so how did the tail hold after initial spool up and in the air?

pavotibio

Well yes and no. It depends on the quality of the TX, ESC and the Gyro. All of those can cause a jerk on spool up. for the tail to jerk from 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock is something way different.
Have you flown it since the repairs, if so how did the tail hold after initial spool up and in the air?

Well, the heli is 100% stock, my Tx is a DX7S. I havent fly it per say since the crash but only done some hovering (indoors). When doing this, the tail holds in place so it is not even necessary to trim anything. I´ll go to a park nearby tomorrow to do some test flights. I will try to record them.
Thanks and cheers

Tony

Staff member
URI, this is a full align heli so it should have a soft start like my Align 450. If the tail turns, it will just be slightly. However, if you dont' have the rubber feet on it, it can move more on smooth surfaces.

Post up the video so we know exactly what you are experiencing.

Lee

As sais sudden spool up will cause the heli to turn slightly. Try holding a touch of opposite rudder when spooling up and see if that stops it.

pavotibio

Here´s a short video I made so you can see how the tail behaves when spooling up. I am sorry about the quality and the poor light.

Mauricio

[video=youtube_share;jQvNXzda4Jg]http://youtu.be/jQvNXzda4Jg[/video]

murankar

Staff member
First off spooling up like that is creating more torque than the tail can compensate for. Try to do a more gradual I'm crease throttle.

pavotibio

First off spooling up like that is creating more torque than the tail can compensate for. Try to do a more gradual I'm crease throttle.

It also happens when I spool up gradually. I made this video quickly cuz the camera battery was about to die. I hope I can go fly outdoors tomorro to see what happens.
I´ll keep you posted.
Thanks

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Matthias is right your gunning the throttle. Not good! Not how your supposed to do it! Try spooling her up slower! Don't gun it!

murankar

Staff member
If you have not done so program your ESC to have a super soft spool up. That will eliminate a lot of that initial torque to the tail.

Tony

Staff member
That is completely normal with teh amount of torque that is being applied. My worry is just how fast the blades stop when jerk back and forth. There is a bind in there somewhere that is keeping it from spinning free. If you watch my Align 450 build videos, you can see just how free my blades are.

Lee

100% sure its your spool up speed.
1) Set the soft start up in the ESC.
2) give a very small amount of throttle and allow the heli time to spool up before adding any more.
3) I agree with Tony. There is something to tight in the head. Its slowing down to quickly. Check your gear mesh between the pinion and main gear. There should be a tiny bit of play side to side between the teeth.

pavotibio

I'll check the main gear to see everything's ok. I don´t know how to program the ESC.
I am thinking of dismantling the whole thing to rebuild it myself (I got it 2nd hand) but before that I wanna learn how to program the ESC. Could anybody explain me that? I'll look for info on the net anyway to have an idea.
Thanks again for the willing to help people here always have.
Saludos
Mauricio

PS: Tony, wut about the quoting now, uh?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Tony, wut about the quoting now, uh?

Nevermind, I hit the wrong button and the quotes didnt show, duh uh me!

Tony

Staff member
What do you need to know about the quoting? If your asking how to quote posts, just click the "Reply With Quote" at the bottom right of the post. If you are wanting to quote multiple posts, then click the button just to the right of the reply with quote on every post you wnat to quote, and on the last one, click the Reply With Quote button and it will all be filled in for you. Hope this is what you were asking.

pavotibio

What do you need to know about the quoting?

LOL You had explained me before how to multiquote. I was gonna do it now but clicked "post quick reply" instead of "reply with quote" at the end of my message.
I wrote the PS so you could see I had learned, ha ha, but I made that mistake and it didnt work.

murankar

Staff member
If you have not programmed the ESC then there might be some breaking going on. you will want to turn the break off if it is on. That could give the appearance of binding.

pavotibio

If you have not programmed the ESC then there might be some breaking going on. you will want to turn the break off if it is on. That could give the appearance of binding.

I bought it 2nd hand so I dunno whether the esc was programmed or not. Is it too difficult to do it?

Top Bottom