General Tail Issues? - Here are some good tips

Westy

LEGEND
Hey all ... just thought I would share some insights ..... and Mistakes :)
My 2 Latest Videos.

Hope you like them

TAIL CHECKING - LETS GET FUSSY!

CORRECT TAIL ROTATION

Last edited by a moderator:

danhampson

thanks Westy, after a recent crash ive stripped my 450 pro down and rebuilt. when i got to the tail i found that the slider wasnt moving very well (just a tad stiff). so this afternoon ive stripped the tail and found that i had gotten thread lock on the bushes when i had assembled it. ive cleaned everything up and used you tip for putting the thread lock in the hole not on the bolt. all is well now tail slider is moving silky smooth, just waiting for a break in the weather to maiden after my repairs.
Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

Westy

LEGEND
Hi Dan! .... I am glad you found it helpful! yep ... 99.5% of the helis I work on with tail issues have that same issue.... the bushes in the slider housing itself going to the short plastic slider link arms. Almost always are gunked up with threadlock.

slider bushes.jpg

you can actually do the same tip on the feathering shaft too!!! hold the shaft with the hole facing the ceiling and dip a hex driver or old flybar with thread-lock and then put it into the hole (not too much only a drop is needed... no need to fill the hole to the brim) of the feathering shaft. Then you can happily add the blade grip with thrusts and screw into place and screw it down without smearing thread-lock everywhere and seizing up and bearings.

slider bushes.jpg

danhampson

I dipped a cocktail stick in the thread lock then wiped it on the threads. I could see a small amount of blue on the threads.
Keep the tips coming westy!!!

Westy

LEGEND
good job! thread lock will "seep" into anything nearly before it cures.... if it has clearance the thread lock will and can get in there ... especially bearings ... it loves getting into them too !

orbi

Hi Westy nice one mate. I got a PRO 450 and your right I do have a lot of slop in the tail mechanism but I cant adjust anything mate. all the levers and arms etc have no adjustment but there is play/slop in the movement .
Imade a " lazy susan" 2 circular plywood dics about 9in dia. wtith an old swash plate sandwiched in the middle I made a U shape out of timber beading 1/2 x 1/4 and set the heli in there so she is tight to the beading making sure the centre of gravity is in the middle of the circle. I took off the main blades and fired her up to full rotate. this tells ya if the gyro is doing its job and how the tail is moving, left or right on the stick etc. You can do this after with the blades on but I would make sure that the heli AND the lazy susan are pinned down well to prevent lift. This will show any movement etc.and you can make safe adjustments via Tx without having to stop flight. Ive seen this done on a vid , how would you rate doing this?

Westy

LEGEND
hey Orbi.....

Where is the PLay?

I think you will find it mostly in the ball and slider bell crank. I replaced the ones the one i fixed for a guy and worked a charm.

Align ones are at least high tollerance machined.

as for the spin up tool .... good for like making sure you gyro is not reversed ... but the real acid test can really only be done out in the atmosphere! off the ground.

Top Bottom