General Tail feathers

treff

Hi all. just a quick question..............yesterday I was caught out with the heli going into piros for no apparent reason. Anyway I managed to land but snagged the tail, breaking off one of the tail blades. I changed the blades to some older ones I have which are a little damaged. Now I find I have tail wag. Do I have to redo the gyro setting after changing out the tail Blades, or is it the slight damage to the blades that would cause the wag. I have also taked off the training gear because I was getting snagged in the grass, would this have an effect on the tail? Looking forwards to your informed answers. Many thanks.

Lee

If the tail blades are a different size or shape, they can have a stronger effect on tail authority. Also the training gear will have acted like a shock absorber. The heli will be more sensitive now without them. Reducing your gain by a few % should get you back to smooth flying.

treff

Thanks Lee. Yes blades different shape, bat wing I think they are called and the heli very much smoother without training gear. I will just have to more careful now when flying and landing. I was looking across the heli parts suppliers here in the UK and spares seem to be in very short supply at the moment. I was going to rebuild my first HK helicopter but it's cheaper to by another and better model lol. All the best.

treff

Well, I tried again after a few adjustments and not so lucky this time. Same story, hovering quite well, nice and stable, suddenly the tail lets go and she starts spinning. No training gear this time and over it went. I still can not see any thing wrong so I will take it apart and rebuild. Need a new feathering shaft by the looks and a few other bits and pieces but by an large got away quite lightly but with my confidence in this machine a little dented. Any ideas that would cause a sudden break away? Cheers

pvolcko

Belt or torque tube? If belt might need to increase tension a bit. Could be warming up, stretching and losing mesh.

treff

Thanks pvolcko, it's a belt so I will give that ago. Its been pretty good so far, not that old really about 15 batteries worth so far just it always seem to happen when the weather is coming good LOL cheers

Lee

Check the whole drive chain Treff, from the front drive gears to the tail shaft. Maybe one of the gears is slipping. Hold the tail still and gently try to turn the head, see if anything slips.

treff

Cheers Lee. I am going to stripe it down next week. I think the belt as a smooth section that is causing it to jump. It looks different in places so have ordered another. I also found the head was very loose on the slide so that it could move back and forth. Not to good there. I have retightened the jesus bolt and that as taken out some of the movement. I have also replaced the feathering shaft. So just waiting for the bling tail blades. Yes I know bright orange is not the colour this year but the only ones in stock LOL. Also ordered 2 tail booms, losing me confidence LOL.

RMB677

Had a similar condition a while back that caused me to crash my 450 into a concrete planter on the patio. After diagnostics I found the plastic belt drive gear was worn. I've since replaced it with an aluminum unit and hope I don't have that problem again.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Had the same thing happen to me on my 500, I found out that the locktite on the tail hub had broken leaving the grub screw somewhat loose, i could spool up and hover but than it would give, and start spinning, but after I re locktited it, and it worked fine and I've never had that happen since.

Top Bottom