450 Tail drive gear

treff

I have come up against a problem I have not seen before in that the tail gear, the one that drives the belt has worn out. At least the frame at that point is plastered with white
dust, really plastered with it. The drive gear which is connected to the main shaft is black so it must be the small gear that drives the belt. I have never had one that is worn
quite so bad. Unfortunately the Align drive is different, the gear is in a different place so I will have to change the box has well. Is it worth going over to direct drive?
I'm not sure wether to stick with the belt drive or change to the direct one. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bruno

I have 2 Trex 450s, one is belt and one is torque tube. I like both for different reasons. If I had to choose I think I would go with the belt due to less chance of damage or decreased damage cost with a crash.

treff

Thanks Bruno for the reply. I have noticed that the small gear the drives the belt does not line up correctly with the main gear drive so something
is amiss. I think this is causing excessive wear on the smaller drive.

Lee

Very strange to wear out that gear Treff. As you say, something is a miss.
How tight did you have the belt?

treff

Not to bad Lee. There was no struggle to fit the drive at all. I tried the belt for tension and I could move the belt to almost the middle when pressed with a small screw driver so
I do not think tension is the problem. Everything runs smooth as silk. One thing I have noticed that the small drive does not fully mesh with the main gear drive but run on only 50% if you
get my drift. I noticed something wrong when the tail would go up and down rapidly for no reason, especially when flying into wind. I thought the shaft on the tail gear drive could be bent
but I can find nothing wrong except the gear is wearing rapidly. Thanks

Top Bottom