General Tail drift

Very frustrated today as it doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't seem to stop my t-Rex from turning to the right , it's vey slight and gentle , I've even resulted to adding some sub-trim but still no joy , I've turned the gain up / down on the 3gx , I've turned the gain up /down on the radio , adjusted the tail control rod but the Heli still very gently turns to the right , any ideas anyone ???:fatigue:

Derek

well, that would have been too easy, if that were the problem. :) Unfortunately, I know very little about the 3GX so you will probably need the advice from someone else. I do hope you get it worked out.

Tony

Staff member
Are you making sure not to move the helicopter or any of the sticks when you plug the heli in?

Yes Tony I'm not aware that I'm moving the Heli , I plug in the battery and put the lead under an elastic so maybe the slightest movement but it's been this way from day 1 , it wasn't so much of a problem to start with as the Heli was all over the place but now I've fine tuned the settings and it now hovers really quite stable the tail thing is really starting to bug me!

Tony

Staff member
Hm, okay. Nose right means it's forcing too much air out to the right. Flip the heli in Rate mode and fold the tail blades the same direction. You should only have a slight bit of right thrust built into the tail so the blades should almost be the same when folded over. Maybe 1/4" gap at the tips.

Tony

Staff member
I don't remember what Tx you have, but rate mode on the DX6i is anything below 50%. I would suggest 35%. On the DX7s and DX8, it's anything in the negatives. If you are using something else, then I'm not sure.

I'm using the Align T6 , same as Futaba

- - - Updated - - -

Ok Tony I just had a look and there is a 1/4 or so difference between the blades certainly no more than a 1/4

Tony

Staff member
Only other thing that I can think of is to redo the rudder setup and make sure you are 110% positive that everything is correct. Other than that, I'm lost.

Derek

Yeah...it's gotta be something amiss in the rudder setup. I hope you get it figured out, Andrew. Keep us posted.

pvolcko

Make sure you didn't accidentally put some rudder trim into the Tx. Very easy to bump those switches and end up with some in there.

I've already added some sub-trim to try and compensate it , it defo seems like a gyro issue as aposed to a mechanical issue and I've almost dialed it out with sub-trim , I will try again tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

And it's the t-Rex plus not the Dominator so it came RTF with this issue!

pj1969

I had the same problem on my 450 pro after I changed the tail boom, when I put it all back together it seemed all fine and no catching or visual problems, but when I hovered her, she very slightly nosed to the right and had to always give a little stick to keep her straight. It did my head in as it flew ace before I did some repairs, I finally had a look at it and I noticed the whole tail unit slightly tipping to one side and not central to the boom, there is a tiny locating hole in the boom, but wasn't quite sitting 100%. After centralizing it all up and making sure the cut out of the tail sat in he middle of the boom, she flew smack on with no drift, just check also that if you are using cheaper blades tht they are flat and not a little bent, hope you sort it.

Wooohoooo! I think I've cracked it, after reading PJ's post I checked the tail over once more , it all seemed ok and in line , blades straight and no problems , however I noticed a small mark on the tail boom from where I guess the main blade must have struck it during I minor crash where the ball link from the main blade popped off , on close inspection the tail boom appeared to be slightly bent , I ordered 1 immediately but also tried to straighten the boom and BOOM the tail held firm , I could actually concerntrate on flying and not have to keep correcting the tail , WOW! Hopefully this will continue , I'm going back out in a mo and will put 3 packs through it ..... Back in a bit lol:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::cheerful::stupid:

pj1969

Brilliant mate, see to the naked eye everything seems fine and straight, it's not until someone else has the same issue,can you explore other things, glad you got it sorted. NOW WE WANT SOME FLYING FOOTAGE or it didn't happen lol

Ha ha yeeh PJ , thanks for your help dude and I will get on the flying footage , it will hardly excite u guys , I'm just a gentle circuit flying newbie lol , but onwards and upwards :victorious::cheerful:

Top Bottom