450 Tail boom mount stripped and batt Question

itonkatom1

Hey all,
I wanted to make sure i am using my batteries in the most effient way. I have lipo and my rutine is as follows: to charge i put it on balance and set the amps at half the battery amph (2200amph=1.1 volt, 3200amph=1.6volt), then when used up in heli, i let it completly cool, then discharge to mvl (9volt=3cell), then repeat when ready to fly. I know this takes longer but isnt that the most effective way to get the most out of your lipo batteries. Second being a neewbe it didnt take me long to bend a couple of tail booms. And when changing tail boom I have managed to strip out 2 of the 4 mounting and securing screw holes (the female side). I have the plastic version tail mount, and as I wait for my metal upgrade I still am always trying to get my practice time in and have tried a few things to try to keep it from slipping, like inserting a small copper sleave inside boom at the mount and it made "crimping' the boom a little firmer and worked for awile. Then I tried to apply locktite around the seam of mount and boom inside and out (being real carefull not to touch anything else with the red locktite) and that worked for awhile. Now Im out of ideas, any suggestions to tide me over till I get My hobby King delivery?. Do you all think if I soder the exterior seam between boom and mount that that would work. I would just wait for the metal one, but I am so close to holding a sastained hover, I can taste it. lol
Thanks in advance for all your help
Tommy

Tony

Staff member
There is no need to discharge a lipo battery. If you are running the battery down to 3 volts per cell (9 volts total on a 3s), then you are taking it too low and actually hurting the battery rather than helping it. I try not to go below 3.7 volts per cell. Just fly them, then charge them back up. If you are going to be storing them for a while, charge them to 3.8 volts per cell and they will last longer.

As for the boom, you are messing with a helicopter that has blades spinning at over 200mph. Don't take any chances, just wait for your order. That's my suggestion.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
True that.. It'll throw your tail bad!! Plastic tail mount is actually better than aluminum. Aluminum mount with belt drive is known to have severe static issues ... You have to ground the mount I get rid of them. Don't worry about those issues if you had ordered the aluminum already, let it come, install it, and see what the heli does.

Donot fly with a loose tail. Like tony said .. Recipe for disaster.

Top Bottom