ESC Tail blow out on 550X with CC Edge 120HV ESC

pvolcko

So I upgraded the ESC on the 550 to a Castle Edge 120HV after a local guy's 550X went up in smoke due to the stock ESC issue. My old stock ESC has been sent in for the refund Blade is offering.

So I ran into an odd problem after installing the new ESC. I've been getting a lot of tail blow out. With the stock ESC in normal or idle up I got no blow out on aggressive pitch pumps.

I tried increasing governor gain, tail gain, tail pre-comp... nothing was working. The motor clearly was getting bogged down and taking a longish time to recover, despite the logs saying that headspeed was more or less stable the whole time.

Today I reset tail pre-com to off, tail gain to 70%ish, gov gain to medium. And then I tried one adjustment I thought wouldn't have any effect. I increased the control PWM freq setting from "outrunner" mode to 8khz.

What a difference. There is still a little hint of initial blow out, but it is greatly improved in both normal and idle up modes (1850 and 2100 respectively).

I tried going to 12khz but didn't see much immediate improvement. I need to run another pack or two through it to see if there is any more subtle benefits.

Motor temperature felt the same as with outrunner mode. ESC is running a little hotter, but not much.

So I'll run with 12khz for now and maybe step back to 8khz if no perceived benefits on the 12khs setting present themselves. To deal with the slight tail blowout on entry to a pitch pump I'll bring back the tail pre-comp and see if I can get it dialed in again. That or maybe play with the gov gain setting again (I see on some other forums people are running low gov gain with these stock motors so maybe that will help).

Would love to know what the difference is between 8khz and "outrunner" mode on these CC ESCs. The instructions are kindof vague on the topic.

rchelipilot

Boy do I need to borrow a pc from somebody. I have a Phoenix ICE 100 and programed it using throttle inputs for the 500. The stuff your talking about here is making no sense to me. Except for the tail kick-out which is happening to me also a little bit.

pvolcko

Your ESC should have come with a card for a free USB interface that you can order from Castle. If you bought it used or didn't get a freebie card, I can sell you one cheap, I have an extra. Let me know if you want it. You'll just need to supply a USB cable to hook it up to your computer. Software is a free download from Castle.

Westy

LEGEND
hmmmm that would be an issue then as no heli software is written ported to any other OS.

what about a windows emulator? That might work.

pvolcko

Yeah. I think maybe the ikon software is available for mac, but not many others. Probably worth getting parallels or boot camp or something.

Top Bottom