700 T-Rex 700E build

pvolcko

I have a black main gear coming. black gears on the tail gear box. white autorot and front tail gerbox gears. If when they strip or are about to I'll look into replacing with black. This stripped main was my fault and the result of a poor build step.

xokia

The ones I get are clear 4 pieces $5
Really envious of your property but hate to to be the guy that has to mow that.

5FCFAB18-1E0B-465D-BCEE-474FF591A5A6-7688-000004718FAB6451_zpsfb6b2b28.jpg

Last edited:

pvolcko

Flight 3

- Lower gov gain setting got rid of the fluttering. Again, good call Tony.
- Using 1900 for normal headspeed, 2100 for idle up.
- Moved back to default tail gain. Seeing some delay in tail response on pitch pumps, so may need to increase tail gain. That or check ikon setup for any kind of collective torque compensation setting.
- Some flips and rolls. Whole thing started losing power in mid flip around the 6:40 mark (roughly 5:30 into the flight). The two turnigy 5000mAh packs took 6200mAh or so total, so just over 60% draw down before they started flagging. The packs are running about double the internal resistance of a new turnigy pack and are puffed out so may only be able to draw them down 50% or so before having to bring it in for a landing.

[video=youtube_share;G2MyhKV4XAg]http://youtu.be/G2MyhKV4XAg[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

xokia, I rather enjoy mowing it, or at least my part of it. What you're seeing is also my neighbors back yard too (the part beyond the tree in the middle, that I hate). It is constricting with the 550. With the 700 I'm not comfortable doing anything much beyond hovering and some stationary maneuvers. Slowish forward flight and some slow turns and loops will be about it for this location with this heli. Got three more vids coming, one of the 700, that I took tonight at the flying field for a club I recently joined. I can open them up there without worrying about hitting anything besides the ground or, if I really screw up, someone's car.

Last edited:

xokia

What charger are you using to measure the internal resistance? I've been looking for a good charger with the capabilities. I just purchased an 800watt dual port charger but no internal resistance measurement.

Yea the park I fly at got really small with the 700 also lol :(

I just picked up 3 ikons too so hopefully you guys get them all worked out cause I'm sure ill have questions

Last edited:

pvolcko

iCharger 3010b (308B is just as good and if I were buying today I'd get that since I'm not charging 8-10s battery packs and don't intend to anytime soon).

3 ikons!? Replacing everything in your hangar?

xokia

3 ikons!? Replacing everything in your hangar?
Not the entire fleet but half of them. I got tired of waiting for the skookum 720 so just bought the ikons. Now I need to get rid of my beastx controllers. Probably throw them on eBay.

pvolcko

Moving vids to new flight thread, the build is complete except for some tuning. I'll post updates on that here as I dial things in over the next few flights.

700E Flights

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes this big size needs both collective and cyclic precomp. Check both boxes this yaw on pumps will go away.

Yes those packs are old .. I wouldn't go over 5 minutes on them. On 1900. Even my new packs I try to keep them at 5.5 minutes :)

Good man!! You are like me now! All IKONS! The whole fleet!!! :) :D and try the self level on the smaller birds ... :) then the biggie too :)

And I am using i306b... The 308 and 3010 rock too!!! :)
Fly safe!! :) have fun!

xokia

Good man!! You are like me now! All IKONS! The whole fleet!!! :) :D and try the self level on the smaller birds ... :) then the biggie too :)
I got them for the bail out feature I intend to stick it on my 300x and put it through its paces. I intend to get used to what it can and can't save on the 300x before I try and activate it on the bigger birds. Someone figured out a way to have the ikon give positive pitch automatically on activation. So I will play around with that.

I wasn't really progressing as a pilot so I'm hoping these will give me enough confidence to progress and try stuff I wouldn't normally try.

danhampson

I got them for the bail out feature I intend to stick it on my 300x and put it through its paces. I intend to get used to what it can and can't save on the 300x before I try and activate it on the bigger birds. Someone figured out a way to have the ikon give positive pitch automatically on activation. So I will play around with that.

I wasn't really progressing as a pilot so I'm hoping these will give me enough confidence to progress and try stuff I wouldn't normally try.

Im going to put to put 1 on my protos. And after crashing my 450 because i lost orientation because of the sun (my own fault for standing in the wrong direction), I'm thinking of putting it on the 450.

BOKI

pvolcko; Hope you have good luck putting it all back together ! Wrecked my 450 twice in two weeks not bad wrecks ! Old Rc guy had me bring it to his farm shop ! In three hours he had it perfectly repaired & in the air ! We belong to the same club & he says friends don't charge friends money ! Best of luck ! Oh I've really learned quite a bit watching him do everything !

Last edited:

pvolcko

I was doing more testing on tail pre-comp settings and ESC settings. I was using my bank selector switch to select between different pre-comp settings. However I left the settings I had on those positions in place too (sport, 3D, crazy 3D). I was at the end of the flight literally on the last manuever before I was going to bring it down. I was finishing testing and had it on the last bank setting, which was most aggressive settings. I have to watch the video to remember what I was doing and what I did wrong, but I think I was doing a semi-stationary roll and it was coming back toward me and a big pine tree so I put a little but of forward elevator into it, but it was inverted at the moment so it did the opposite of intended, quick bit of panic as it was practically overhead and very near the tree coupled with the super aggressive settings, it got out of control and uncomforable quick. Hit throttle hold it drifted by the tree (blades chopped some branches I think) and was floating backwards inverted into my other neighbors yard. I tried to recover it but it didn't spin up and I do not believe I had cyclic control anymore either. Possibly a battery cord snagged on the tree and unplugged? Not sure. Anyway, it went in unpowered, inverted and possibly starting to bank a bit. Left some monster chop marks in my neighbor's yard. :)

The damage:

main blades, tail blades, main blade bolts, elevator ball link, couple of links, ail control shaft, one set of servo gears, skid pipe, boom, tt, main gear, possibly tail shaft (tested it but hard to tell without being able to spin it up) and a tail boom support (on the heli it seemed to have too much flex, but off it seemed the same as the "good" one).

Was flying without the canopy so no damage to that and luckily didn't damage anything it might have protected. Had to order everything but the boom and main gear. and I just realized I forgot to put the servo gears on my list so need to order them up now. :)

It was bound to happen at some point. Kind of lucky I did it here and not at the club field. If it were at the club I would have come down hard on someone's vehicle probably. Of course if it were there I wouldn't have had the tree in play, wouldn't have paniced, and likely would not have attempted to correct the backwards drift until completing the maneuver.

Most expensive crash yet. Could have been worse, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Question for you guys, re the servo damage. I cracked it open and saw two teeth sheered off a gear. I got those cleaned up and it isn't binding anymore. Hwoever, the pin that acts as an axle for the middle gears bent. I can get a new gear set, but as far as I can tell it does not come with that pin. Is the only way to get that pin to buy a whole new servo? Is it reasonable to try bending it back to something close to straight and roll with it instead of buying a whole new servo?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ouch.. Where is the video?

Servo pin.. You sure it doesn't come with? I don't know.. It might not Be anyone else's opinion , but if it was me, I'd try to get a new pin.. Or a new servo.. Used ds610's are cheap, and they can act as parts for your servo.. ( if align is what you use)

Not getting 35-40 dollar used or 60 dollar new servo could cause a much more expensive crash.

And 700 crashes are ugly... Lol I know and I bet you know this already now

Btw check the frames closely for cracks. :)

Top Bottom