600 T-Rex 550e DFC Maiden

Doum066

Well, after almost 2 months since i bought the kit, and after lots of misadventure with part etc.. i finaly receive yesterday my new BeastX, my other one is coming back from Horizon Hobby service, i bought a second one for my upcoming second 55e and it came in last night... so tonight, was finaly the moment i've been waiting for since july 1st. :) A nice and smooth hovering maiden flight to see how it handles with almost basics setting, was a lot stable.. i felt in love right away with this bird. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Re: T-Rex 500e DFC Maiden

It doesn't get much more stable than that. I think it's time for a little FF!

Doum066

Yep :) that'S what today will be and maybe tomorrow, finaly a 2 day week-end with really nice forecast. Yesterday was the first time also i was flying a bird bigger than a 500, i took it easy and damn the sun drops fast at this time of year when flying after work :( So today will be some FF seing how it handles, see if the BeastX need some adjustments, and maybe some flips awaits.

Derek

WOW!!! That was really nice! Great maiden flight buddy!!!

Tony

Staff member

I'm telling ya Derek, you need to stick a FBL head on that 500 of yours and put the BX on it. This is the outcome!

OP, can't wait for the FF videos. See what I'm hinting there? hehe.

Doum066

Lol, oups, i just realised i made a mistake in my title, it'S a 550e DFC, not a 500. :)

I went to the field today, but never thought of having a record, i did some circuits and a few flips. Tomorrow'S forecast seems to be as nice as today, so i might try some loops, we'll see, so far she handled flips nicely.

Lee

Did you get the combo with the new CC Talon 90A ESC? Just a warning. My friend has had two power losses resulting in crashes. Hunting on the net, it seems that the ESC is the prime suspect.
The ESC is rated at MAX 90A but the motor is rated at 90A with 150A burst.
I'm guessing the ESC doesn't have the muscles to control the motor.
This has happened to people at various intervals after 15/20 flights or 3 flights.
Don't want to scare you but, thought i'd give you a heads up. Maybe you can research it further.
Lee

Doum066

Yep, that's the kit i got. I've read lots of horror stories with CC ESCs.. i thought it got better... i'll indeed do some readings.. what other ESCs would be a replacement solution?

Lee

I think the esc is ok, just not for that motor. Better for a 500. My friend is replacing his with the 120 edge.

Doum066

Thanks for the info Lee, i apreciate.

Will be looking for the timing, as for the ESC, for now i'll try as is, so far i'm not doing hardcore 3D, i'm simply starting loops, flips and such. I've done some reseach and such. and as i came up with, we do read lots of stuff from people having problems but rarely from people not having any, i even came up on a forum someone doing survey and as they say, you only get stuff from people which had problem, but how many is this, 10 out of a 1 000? For now i don't really feel like spending 250 $ on a ESC, if eventualy something happens, well i might do something, but so far all seems good. I do agree though there is lots of horror story about CC ESC's, as much as Spektrum'S signal lost or binding problems... only time will tell.

Lee

My friend is at the same level, just general sport flying. It's happened twice to him now. Just keep an eye on it :)

Doum066

lol, damn, i was hoping you would say he was into hardcore 3d :p we'll i'll watch it closely, and see how hot it gets at each flights.. i've been badlucked so much lately... we never know :S i might use CA Glue on my crossed fingers :victorious:

Doum066

Well guys, tonight was the night, i decided tonight was the night i brake ice with some aerobatics, i did started a few days ago flips. Tonight i did some flips, slow loop and some FF loops, but what i dare did and i still can't believe it, was some Rainbows, with inverted hovering for about 10 seconds inbetweem the Rainbow's 2 stages... in The Sim i do have all the misery to performt hem as close as possible to perfection, and tronight, the 3 i did were close to perfection... i didn't bother the guys to record it, they were too busy setting up their planes, but this week-end if mother nature is nice, i might get a movie of my basics aerobatics :p I can tell you that this 550e DFC Kit is lovely, i really really don't regret the purchase, you can bet this winter i get a second one for next summer. :)

As for the ESC, i checked the temperature of the ESC and Motor after the 2 packs i flew, which i did give them a good shake compaires to the flying i used to do :p
The motor was around 80-90 deg. F and the EST between 90-100 deg. F.

Tonight is the night i did get more addicted to this hobby than ever, i would never had thought being able or even dare doing such stuff, even though it's only basics maneuvers, the next one i got to try in real life now, is a side loop :p

Tony

Staff member
Side loops, or even better, barrel rolls (ff with an aileron roll) are sweet. Love them. Congrats on the new moves. IT's times like this that hook people into the hobby.

Doum066

Thanks Tony, you can bet i'll have a vid to share with you guys lately, i might even be able to try out side loops until then, as for barrel rolls, i still have to work this out in the Sim. I also forgot to mention, i also did tonight some so called half cuban 8 :) I really did some improvement these passed few days... and i remember the day i said « I'm not interested in any aerobatis or 3D, all i want to do is scale flight »... yeah right lol

BTW, glad to see you were able to get in the air lately :) I was watching your vids in your thread with your HK as you call it, POS Clone :p, i still learn some stuff from any of them with your comments on each vid you make it's always a learning lesson, thanks again :)

Tony

Staff member
I'm just a basic pilot. I'm a much better teacher than I am a pilot IMO. I just like to have fun every now and then. And in all honesty, I have no idea what a "Cuban 8" is lol. Never looked it up.

Lee

I just taught all the guys here the Cuban 8. Now all they want to do all the time is cuban 8s :D
A cuban 8 is where you do 3/4 of a loop then make a 1/2 roll out and head off in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Doum066

I just taught all the guys here the Cuban 8. Now all they want to do all the time is cuban 8s :D
A cuban 8 is where you do 3/4 of a loop then make a 1/2 roll out and head off in the opposite direction.

Are you sure Lee? :p I thought cuban 8's was flying the TX in one hand doing figure' 8's while holding a Cuban cigar in the other hand! :p

We got to admit it's a more commun move with airplanes.. so far i don't even dare doing full move, only half move :p

I wss able to ask someone to record a flight tonight, but the fact i had someone near me and watching made me do mroe mistakes as i got more nervous, it's a crappy Iphone recording, but until i get a better one, it gives an idea, it's uploading on youtube now, will post link later. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom