450 t-Rex 450 Sport comb or the 450 Pro Super combo

Kenny G

I see them on the rc-help store, what is the different? remember I'm just an old newbie, have a lot to learn and wanting to get into heli's and info and tips and tricks. enjoy watching the videos too. thanks for all help in advance Kenny G. Grove City, PA.

Sparse

the super combo you get everything esc, motor,servo, plus the 3gx. the whole nine. if you planning on getting a kit get that one. the other one you get everything but the 3gx.

Derek

I was just looking at the Align website and the only difference that I see is that the 450 Pro Super combo has the torque tube tail drive. The 450 Sport Super combo is belt drive.

If you are new to rc heli's, it may be a good idea to get the belt drive tail. A reason for that is when you are hovering the heli around and you are coming down to land, lets just say that the wind picks up a bit and the tail rotor hits the ground. Well, with a torque tube tail, this impact with the ground is surely going to cause damage to the rotor blades but it will, almost certainly, add an immediate shock to the torque tube and slow it down at the same time that the motor and pinion are trying to turn the torque tube inside the frame. This immediate shock causes teeth to strip out and or break on the umbrella gears. These would then need replaced. Damage could also be done to the torque tube. This would also need replaced.

Now..if you had a helicopter that had the belt drive tail, like I do, if the same scenario happens...most likely you are just going to damage the tail blades because that immediate shock, as described above, will just cause the belt to slip inside the helicopter. Yes, it's possible and maybe probable that some teeth on the belt may strip out but a new belt is much much cheaper than a new torque tube.

A new belt for this 450 is only $7.99. A new torque tube is $13.99.

Now...on the other hand...the torque tube is well known to be more precise and more solid than a belt drive because the umbrella gears mesh together so well.

I guess it all just comes down to "what you want". I am certainly not a professional helicopter pilot, by any stretch of the imagination, so I will probably stay with belt drive tails for many years.

Good luck Kenny!!!

Derek

the super combo you get everything esc, motor,servo, plus the 3gx. the whole nine. if you planning on getting a kit get that one. the other one you get everything but the 3gx.

Are you sure about that, Sparse? I was just looking at the specs for both kits and I'm pretty sure that I saw that both kits are flybared and come with the GP780 gyro. I could be wrong.

Sparse

I read the post wrong,my lhs has both kits 450 dfc super combo and the 450 dfc combo, the combo comes without the 3gx and the super combo comes with it.

- - - Updated - - -

and from what im seeing on the rc store there all super combos.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.hobbyhut.com/Align_T_Rex_450_Combo_p/kx015075.htm

- - - Updated - - -

copy and paste the link there is no gyro with this kit. to get everything you need to buy the super combo

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
+1 for derrek.. A belt drive would be and ideal starter. Both kits are flybarr(FB) with a GP780 GYRO according to the official site. they can also be upgraded at a later time if choose to go other routes like flybarrless(FBL). You may know this already, but just incase..your other investment would be a SIM. A great investment that will save you tons of money. enjoy and a safe flight!

Kenny G

Thanks all, both the ones I'm liking at are flybar models. Island Breeze I have phoenix sim. Again thanks i'm window shopping before I pull the trigger. and yes they have GP780 GYRO. this will give me something to do when I retire. I'll talk to you later.

Derek

That's awesome that you have a sim, Kenny! Many of us have the Phoenix Sim. It's been an invaluable tool for me, for sure! Keep an eye out, here on the forum, for people posting when they are getting online on the sim. it's always much more fun to fly with others. You can go to the multiplayer selection and open your own flight session and others will come fly with you. If you see a flight session named RC Help..that's probably someone from this forum.

In regard to the 450 shopping....I'm glad to hear that you are shopping and asking questions. You certainly don't want to end up with something that you won't enjoy. Shop around...ask questions and learn. Keep asking questions here on the forum....we'll help you out.

I think I'm gonna head for the sim right now, lol.

Top Bottom