Syma X1 Flies Crooked

sneed

My new Syma X1 flew straight up and down, but suddenly one propeller clearly takes longer to get up to speed. Consequently the unit lifts on one side and flies into the wall. What happened?

Tony

Staff member
You might have a motor that is going out. You can narrow this down by the direction that it's flying in. If the quad is taking off to the left, it's one of the two left motors. If it's taking off to the right, then it's one of the right motors. You can further dial it down by looking at the fore/aft direction it's traveling. If it's going forward and to the right, then it's the front right motor and so on. Only real way to test this is to get another motor.

Make sure your props are spinning free and none of them are harder to turn than the others.

Tony

Staff member
It switches? If that is the case, then I'm going to bet that you have a gyro going out and the only way to replace that is to replace the whole board. I'm no expert on these, but that would be my guess.

You are letting it sit on the ground very still while you initialize it after plugging in the battery, right? You can't hold these in yoru hand when you plug them in. It will cause the gyros to calibrate wrong.

This could also be dry bushings in the motors. Sometimes they grab, sometimes they don't. I have seen that, but not on a quad.

sneed

X1 seems steady again. The problem is the instructions are basically useless. I had to recalibrate the unit by inserting the battery in the aircraft and IMMEDIATELY setting it down on a flat surface. Then when it started blinking I IMMEDIATELY powered up the controller. This calibrates everything and performs the gyro initialization process.

Tony

Staff member
That is some great information! Thanks for posting that. I'm happy that you have it going. Now, we have rules so......

:voidh:

:biggrin1:

Top Bottom