450 Swashplate Travel

RMB677

I know this has been mentioned before but I can't find it nor did I make note of it when I read it. What function on the DX6i is used to adjust the range of movement of the swashplate, i.e. the range of pitch from say + and -9 to + and -10.

Also, looking at definitions it would be helpful if a definition of a Tx function, say swash mix, Expo, D/R, etc. would tell what changing the setting physically does. I, and I'm sure other relative nubies, would find that helpful.

Tony

Staff member
To adjust collective and cyclic pitch in the DX6i, you will do this in the Swash (swashplate, swash mix, can't remember) menu. In there, you will see 3 settings. AIL, ELE, and PIT. AIL and ELE will adjust the cyclic, and PIT will adjust the collective. The farther away from 0 that you are, the more movement you will have. Hope this helps.

pvolcko

If this is a flybarless heli then you should use the FBL setup to change your min and max pitch for collective. Cyclic pitch can be set on some of them too, though as a practical matter you generally set binding limits on the swash and let the FBL dial up whatever amount of cyclic pitch is needed to satisfy the roll rate you are directing with the Tx's cyclic stick.

Flybar helis use the Tx swash mixing menu to make these adjustments, as Tony pointed out.

D/R and Expo: D/R stands for Dual Rates. This allows you to define a response curve endpoints that map deflections of the rudder and cyclic sticks to certain amounts of deflection signal sent to the Rx. Expo is closely related, it stands for "exponential" and will "bend" the D/R curve so that it is creates either greater or lesser sensitivity around the center/zero position. D/R is generally used to limit the total pitch deflection of cyclic or rudder/tail blades (flybar) or limit the roll rate and piro rate potential of the model (flybarless). Expo is used to make control movements around center either more or less sensitive, while still retaining the total deflection/roll-piro rate defined by the D/R endpoints when sticks are at their extremes.

Swash mix: generally only used on flybar helis (if used on flybarless, it is usually only to reverse an output to match up with a model or FBL expectation). USed to control how much Ail and Ele and Pit servo deflection goes into cyclic inputs. On an flybarless setup the FBL unit will manage the internally so swash mixing in the Tx is not used generally speaking. On flybar setups the Rx on the heli is dumb so all the mixing that will make a forward stick movement, for instance, cause the right mix and direction of cyclic servo movement is done in the Tx and transmitted "raw" to the Rx for the servos to execute.

Tony

Staff member
Paul, remember that the 3GX also uses Tx mixing, unlike the AR7200BX and Ikon. I'm not sure what he is running.

pvolcko

True enough. Hence my "generally only used on flybar helis" statement. Left myself wiggle room. :)

Need more info to be specifically helpful to him on this, yes, but thought it was useful as an overview statement.

Paul, remember that the 3GX also uses Tx mixing, unlike the AR7200BX and Ikon. I'm not sure what he is running.

Tony

Staff member
Oh absolutely. Just had to poke that out there for all of you 3GX haterz out there!!! :biggrin1: :chuckles:

RMB677

Thanks to all for the info, I have a Blade 450 and a Align 450 Sport V2 (both fly barred). When I first set up the Align I needed this info. to get full pitch range, got the answer, and the heli flies well. As I was doing post crash set up on the Blade the question came to mind and I couldn't remember what I had done. Only wanted the info. so that I could record it in my log.

Top Bottom