General Swash plate

scotmurie

Hi Everyone,

just a question for you all.

I know you can have a 90deg or a 120 deg swash plate , is there any difference apart from the obvious meaning is there one thats better than the other ?

Thanks Richard.

Tony

Staff member
It's like trying to compare apples to oranges. 90* is only two servos and only controls the cyclic controls. 120* is 3 servos, and they control the cyclic and collective of the blades. 120 has a LOT of mixing going on whereas 90 does not.

As for what's better, it all depends on your skill level. new=90, intermediate+=120

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I don't think that's true tony.. 90 has mixing too. It's just a different type of swash control. 90 has less crisp contrils. 120 is much better than 90... And then 140 is really crisp in controls. A 3D pilot would know the difference.

Tony

Staff member
90* has nothing to do with collective. One servo is for the aileron, one servo for the elevator. If I am in fact wrong about something, post up some documentation so I can read over it and learn the correct stuff. I'm always wanting to learn something new :biggrin1:

scotmurie

Ok so I cant get my head around this atall.
My heli has a 90* swash plate with 3 servo's acting on the swash plate. http://www.helivol.com/PDF_docs/manuals/Interceptor_400_Manual_WEB.pdf on page 21 it shows two opposite side views showing the setup of the servo's and the links to the swash plate.All I can say is that the servo controlling blade pitch activates a seesaw that works both the link at the front and the link at the back of the swash plate. In the next link it shows different swash plate configurations Futaba® Radio System Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I'm really unclear about this and it causes me to wonder about the setup of the DX6I as to whether I should follow Tony's video or not. I'm really sorry to heap this on you guys but I simply cant find anything on the internet to help.

Richard.

Tony

Staff member
Very interesting. I have never seen a servo setup like that in my life. But, the manual is saying 90*, so set it at 90*. It looks like one servo is doing the aileron and I have no clue on the other servos.

If this was my heli, would just use what they say to do in the manual. Afterall it is their heli.

And I'm not a futaba guy, so I don't have a clue about any of those settings either lmao.

Lee

Do the servos move as expected when in 90 mode on the DX6I? Left cyclic swash tilts left. Right goes right. Back elev swash tips back, forward goes forward. And lastly pitch, increase throttle stick ( motor disconnected) all servo raise the swash. If so then you should be set. Hard to see from those picture what they are showing.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes that's how it is.. My .50 is set up the exact same way. One servi operates to push the whole see saw thing up and down. One servo for ailerons on two ends of the swash and one on elevator

It's mechanical mixing.

scotmurie

Yes Lee.
The only thing I notice is with the "Mix 0" I loose most of my neg pitch but with the switch in "Tho Hold" position all the negative pitch is there. This is maybe me thats got a setting wrong.

Lee

Not sure what the Mix 0 is. In normal flight you should have very little neg pitch and in Throttle hold and stunt or idle up mode, the default is normally linear curve so you get full neg to full pos.

Top Bottom