General swash plate leveling tool

Derek

Yeah...the swash on my 500 was actually leveled, with Tony's help, by means of a zip-tie, but I did buy a swash leveling tool for my 500 and I did test it out. Seems to get everything lined up where it' suppose to be.

Lee

Swash leveller is a nice tool to have in you box but the zip tie is a cheap quick way of doing the same job, slightly less accurately.

Tony

Staff member
I wouldn't say less accurately as long as you don't touch the zip tie when you are checking the 3 posts.

Derek

Yeah, I have to say that I was very impressed with setting up my 500 with a zip-tie. Tony showed me how to do it, via a Skype meeting, and once I had the zip tie in place, I didn't touch it again until I was done. Just recently I bought a swash plate leveling tool and decided to remove the head and check the swash with the new tool. I was very impressed to see that the leveling tool showed all three points to be level.

So, I can tell you, first hand, that the zip tie method does "effectively" work and so does the leveling tool. It's just a matter of preference, in the end.

EyeStation

Naw, it will be above the swash and under the head if there is room. Disconnect your motor, turn on the radio, plug in the battery and let it go through its start up routine. Then I usually adjust up the collective stick to get some movement in the servos. I unplug the battery without twisting the heli any way, ( don't want the gyro to make any adjustments) then unplug the battery and start the leveling process. The zippy will touch across the uppermost part of the linkage attached to the swash. Rotate the shaft and see the distance at the other two links without bumping the zippy and changing its position on the shaft.
If it is the leveling tool, remove the head and slide it down the shaft with the feet of the tool facing down.

james609

i got heli checked out by a expert at club. the head setup is fine, the reason it wouldnt lift off is that i had the swash mix reversed. when i hit full throttle it was putting negative pitch and pushing it down. also the gyro is bad, the eflite and the futaba. also, i have to replaceevery servo except for the tail servo, one of them had a stripped gear. then it will fly like it should.thanks

Lee

I wouldn't say less accurately as long as you don't touch the zip tie when you are checking the 3 posts.

Thats why i said "slightly" the leveller allows you to see the swash interaction through the whole range of travel.
I have use the zip tie as well, and it works. But if you have the tool, use it :)

Tony

Staff member
Very lucky this didn't cause a crash. Gaba, a Mod on here, had his blade grips flipped (same as swash mix being reversed) and after he spooled up, he went to low stick and it shot up in the air destroying the heli. Glad you got it handled. This is why we like to see video. We could have seen that and knew exactly what was wrong. Hope you get it repaired quickly.

Top Bottom