FBL Gyro Stupid Ikon

Dirk

I had a funny thing happen yesterday on my 700e with the Ikon. I spooled up and as I lifted off, the heli did a perfect 360 degree yaw. I was only about 2 inches off the ground so no damage was done and thankfully no tip-over.

Upon investigation, I noticed that I only had left tail rotor control. Any stick movement to the right resulted in, well, nothing. Left stick gave me full left, but it was as if no end point adjustments were made.

I whipped out my Android phone and connected to the Crius Bluetooth. Everything was normal.

Anyway, I unplugged my RX pack and reconnected it again, and all was fine. Flew 2 more flights after that.

Does anybody have any idea what causes it? All other controls were fine. It was only the tail. :werd:

stokke

I witnessed my friend control only the throttle yesterday, luckily the collective pitch was negative so it didn't lift off. He did what you did, re-initialized the Ikon and all was fine afterwards. WEIRD!

Derek

That is weird! I'm happy that there was no damage in both cases and I hope nothing like that happens to me, lol.

danhampson

mine did the tail thing while it was on he protos a couple of times. i resolved the problem by going into the ikon/brain software and adjusting the rudder endpoint (so the throw wasnt as much) and it seemed to fix the problem.

I do now make sure that i double check the rudder throws a couple of times before i spool up.

Dirk

Strange thing is, it's been working fine for the last year. Now it decides to pull a nasty on me.

Dan, the endpoints have not been touched at all. I flew the whole afternoon before it pulled it's unwanted little stunt on me. Hell, I prefer doing piros in the air, NOT on the ground.

danhampson

that was the same for me, id flow all last season without a problem and then at the beginning of this season the issue started. if i pushes the rudder right the pitch slider would move left and then stop and not return (moving the rudder stick or moving the whole heli). i found that reducing the right rudder throw in the software solved the issue, i only changed the throw by 2-3 clicks in the software and this solved the problem.

Ive since put the same ikon/brain unit on a trex 550e, done all the setup (as per the brain instructions) and set the rudder throws so that they nearly touch the tail box and hub (without binding) and had no issues at all with this heli. But time will tell, since i noticed the rudder issue ive been double/triple checking the rudder before every spool up.

Hope you get it sorted out.

brent

Just want to agree and stress the importance of pre flight checks, It only take a minute to check all controls then pick the heli up and check all gyro corrections are working. I like to think if I use quality gear check everything over then bang the sticks around I've done everything I can to be safe,
always worry about a servo stopping in the air after having a tail servo stop mid air on a 450.
Is there a life expectancy on servos? my 700n dfc pro started life as a v1 and still has the same servos.

Lee

Occasionally you can get an initialisation issues. Its just sometimes the speed of initialisation stops a servo from working.
I have had this a number of times on cyclic, until two days ago it hasn't happened for a long time.
Two days ago it just stopped all my cyclic servos.
Every time you plug in your battery you should give full stick movements to test all the throws.
If a servo doesn't work, just unplug the battery and reinitialise. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom