General Strange flight with Goblin 630

holtneil

Hi guys well I was out flying today and the goblin 630 started off as normal then as I did a hover the heli start a very slow spin anti clock wise I had No rudder control so I did a controlled landing all in a slow spin
Well the problem was the tail drive gear grub screw had come loose even with lock tight so was slipping also the tail shaft had slip out to the left side so I had no pitch movement to one side , took 2 seconds to fix with more lock tight and the grub screw up so tight its about to strip , first time for everything just glad I got it down with no damage

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:scratchchin: That's excellent you caught something wrong with your bird before something REALLY would of went bad ;)

Admiral

Well done Neil, it's a great feeling when you get them down in one piece after a mechanical failure, I had a failure on my 500 about two weeks ago but got it down in one piece when the pinion gear broke in flight.

Last time I use an Alloy pinion.

500 Pinion Fail (Large).jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:thinking:How did you mange that? I've strip them before but a chunk like that missing o_O I'm going to have to order steel ones for my 500 then if I don't want that to happen, I guess :scratchchin:

vyrnguy

it's a very soft alloy, it's been known to happen. Hardened Steel is what you want, they are darker in color

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well with the fuselage that I recently got for the 500 IMG_1151.JPG I'm going to invest in steel pinion then. The 450/X3 has alloy ones but they don't nearly have the weight like the 500 does. Thanks for posting that picture Admiral :twothumbsup:

Admiral

Happened shortly after take off, was not under any undue stain, it's not the sort of thing you inspect on a pre-flight either, if I had I probably would not have seen it.

Brass or steel for me from now on.

holtneil

Hi guys you carry on it gives me more ideas what to check more often Glad you save the bird Admiral, much worse fail than mine was

Tony

Staff member
On any of my larger helicopters, I use the steel motor gear, but on smaller ones, it's all aluminum for me. Never had an issue. Glad you got it down in one piece.

Top Bottom