Still learning throttle management, almost fly-away, unintended flip and recover

Webskipper

So I've only been flying multi-rotors for two months, self taught and flying very low and slow normally, I've had a few higher flights recently, but wasn't planning that on this flight.
I'm going to be reading here about how to properly set my DX8 throttle for this quad to avoid this risky flying in the future.
As they say, do not try this at home....
I took off in my own back yard with the intention of getting about as high as my backyard trees and home. I eventually landed 1 yard over in a very friendly neighbor's back yard after almost losing it into a farther away neighbor's back patio. See the short vid here. All Constructive comments welcome.

I KNOW I should never fly over anyone else's property without permission and I unintentionally did just that. Glad my neighbors are (currently) all very understanding.
BTW, I have exceptional homeowner's insurance... just don't mention this to my agent eh?
[video=youtube_share;HLv_0FbtRog]http://youtu.be/HLv_0FbtRog[/video]

Stambo

Tell us more about the quad, did you calibrate the transmitter before you flew it.
If not, follow the instructions here.
It should make things much easier for you.
You can either use the software or transmitter settings to introduce some expo and dual rate to make things easier while learning to fly.
Enjoy your quad, they are great fun.

Webskipper

Stambo, it's a pretty stock IdeaFly Ifly4 quad, with shortened landing gear (because I landed really hard on one side).
Yah I've read the IFly manual many, many times, and participate in a different IFly forum as well, I just watch some guys take off and land so smoothly and my quad just wants to rocket up and plummet down with the slightest of throttle moves.... like the vid shows. Up 250 ft, over 250 ft in seconds.... Moments the way my heart was pounding.
I had just recalibrated level using a bubble level on the top plate with the battery connected but off the quad, and then a small 6 in level around all the arms, before setting it level. I was using the standard linear throttle settings on the DX8 and just the smallest throttle movement was sending it skyward. I've never really learned how to program the throttle as most of my other a/c are gliders.
After watching some vids here and reading some of the suggestions for beginner flying on other craft, I went in and have adjusted my throttle curve, but's it's blowing 14+ winds out now and I'm leary flying this inside at all, though I have spun it up just enough to lift the skids inside the house.
Waiting on calmer winds outside.....

Lee

Some flight control boards you can adjust the throttle curves in the software, like my Open Pilot board.

Stambo

Have you installed the software on your PC and hooked it up with a USB cable?
Looking in the manual I linked, the transmitter calibration sounds like where you need to be looking.
This is probably the most important thing you can do right now.
This is what I suggest. Take it or leave it.

1. Set up a new model in your TX, ACRO or PLANE model (I know it sounds wrong but Heli modes have mixing that you don't want).
  2. Install software to pc if you have not already.
  3. Remove propellers from quad. (safety first).
  4. Hook USB cable from quad to PC.
  5. Start the software.
  6. Turn on TX.
  7. Hook up quad battery.
  8. Follow the instructions to calibrate your TX.

Now you have a base to start from.
Maybe make a copy of this in your TX if you have room so you can revert to it if things go wrong.
Now it's time to tweak the TX settings.
Set yourself about 30% expo and 80% DR on your aileron and elevator channels.
You could do the same on the rudder channel, that depends on how responsive it is.
This should give you a reasonably tame quad to start with and as you gain more experience you can adjust TX settings to suit.

I did read in the manual something about mingas and maxgas. Someone who has this particular quad may be able to enlighten us more on these settings as this may even be relevant to your problem.

I know heli modes in the tx give you access to throttle curves etc but this is the simplest way to get a quad flying.
You could experiment with heli modes later, once you can fly the thing.

Good luck. :)

Top Bottom