Star Spangled Salute at Tinker AFB

callsign4223

Staff member
Had the Bi-Annual air show at the Air Force Base in the city where I live this last weekend. It was freaking amazing. Pics to come.

I was there from 8am to 5pm Saturday, and then watched planes do their routines from my house a couple miles off the end of the runway all day Sunday.

callsign4223

Staff member
Pics from the show. Took my two oldest boys.

The extra 300 flight was pretty good.

The Dehaviland vampire show was awesome. Surprisingly quick and quiet little plane. I had no clue it was made out of plywood and balsa. They said they have to do termite inspections before each flight lol.

The Thunderbirds were cool to watch, but OMG!!!! They took 30 minutes to get into their planes and get airborne! Too much showmanship, not enough flying.

They did a heritage flight with the P-51 flying wingtip to wingtip with the F-35. I didn't get pics of that because I was already volunteering and driving around in a golf cart by that point. Also got a flyover from a B-2.

The AWACS was a surprise to walk through. Totally not what I expected the inside of that plane to look like. The base here is the primary maintenance depot for the AWACS, the E-3, and the KC-135 so we see them flying overhead daily. It was cool to finally get to see what the insides looked like. I was surprised at how much cargo space is actually in the KC-135. I literally thought the thing was just full of fuel bladders.

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

Last edited:

Admiral

Great photos, love the Vampires they were the RAAF trainers in the 50's when I was a kid, they used to fly over our place regularly.

Tony

Staff member
And of course, no friggin video... YOUR FIRED!!!! hahahaha. Some good photos though!

callsign4223

Staff member
Meh, whatever LOLOL

I'm more of an in the moment kind of guy. I'd rather watch them through my glasses than through a viewfinder

Top Bottom