450 Spool up issue

I just finished my build of an Align Trex 450. Flybarless with 3gx version 4.0 Dominator motor BL460mx ESC BL45x DS 416 digital servos with two spektrum 9645 sats. Spektrum DX8 TX with standard settings with no mixing. I set my esc to Brake disabled. Mid Timing, High cutoff for battery protection, Aircraft set to Heli 1, Throttle response is set to quick and the voltage is set to 5.5v. Amped up battery 2200 mAh 20C brand new never been over drained and this is occurring with a full charge. On spool up in normal flight mode it starts normal. I swith to flight mode 1 and the heli stops. If I start in flight mode 1 it starts up normal. But then quits. It seems that when I give another command other than throttle the motor shuts down. I have to reset the flight mode switch to normal and return the collective back to zero. Then it starts back up no problem. Anybody got any ideas. Thanks

pvolcko

What are your throttle curve settings in normal, idle up 1 and 2? What is "high cutoff" in terms of voltage? Will it stay going in normal mode if you do not change flight mode?

Yes I have. Same issue on different settings. I only changed the aircraft from heli 1(soft start) to heli 2(soft start +govornor and the mid 5.5 v to 6.0v No change

- - - Updated - - -

Normal is a linear throttle curve. Flight 1 is 100,85,85,85,100 flight mode 2 is 100,95,95,95,100. Not sure as to what the actual high voltage cutoff is but its the default setting from align. I figured it would be safe. Its one of the only settings I haven't changed on the esc. It seems to continue steady if I don't change modes. but I notice at one time it quit when I gave it rudder. I'm thinking maybe bad solder joints on the esc.

pvolcko

Change back to heli 1. Make sure it works without the governor in the mix. You don't really need it on a 450 anyway.

murankar

Staff member
When I fly in iu1 I run a flat curve. I set mine to 75 all the way across and iu2 I set to 80 across.

Normally in governor mode you want a flat curve. As for the shutting down not sure on that one.

Is the motor shutting off or just stopping?
Is the motor timing good?

That battery c rating might be a bit low. Have 25c rated batteries that do just fine. I recently got 35c rated batteries but have not flown them yet.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

No error lights when this happens?

Did you calibrate your throttle to the 3GX? Steps as I understand them:

1) Set linear throttle curve, power up the Tx, low stick, throttle hold off, 3GX still powered down. Disconnect motor from ESC or remove blades.
2) Press and hold "set" button on 3GX.
3) Power up 3GX.
4) When all the LEDs on the 3GX light up, stop holding the "set" button.
5) Sweep the throttle stick from low position to high position.
6) Red and green LED should start flashing and the 3GX will reboot.
7) Disconnect 3GX power.

Another idea, change the cut off voltage setting to the mid setting. Make sure you aren't running into a LVC condition.

Another idea, maybe the servos are drawing more power than expected. You can try bumping BEC output voltage down to 5.0V instead of 5.5V. This will reduce current draw of the servos and may eliminate the issue too.

Try this stuff one at a time and test. See what, if anything, sticks. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Good thought on the 20C rating on the battery, Matt. If it is that, then the lower LVC setting may "solve" it for testing purposes. If this happens, Jay, do not fly it because you may well still hit the LVC under flight conditions and crash. Your solution then would be to go get a battery with 25 or 30C rating. Or a larger 20C rated one like 3000mah or more.

The battery is charged, right? :)

murankar

Staff member
I know that a 25c 2200 mah pack is good up to 55 amps. I am sure that the 20c pack is closer to 50 amps. Is 50 Amps enough for your motor and can your etc handle that amperage?

Just based off the op it seems to me that there might be an electrical issue. Not so much setting at this point.

I just did the math, I got 44 amps. Is that enough power for your setup?

Last edited:

Lee

Check for cold solder joints between Battery/ESC/Motor.
The others will have to help with 3GX issues, I've never used one.

Thanks everyone for your help. It was the battery. This battery has never been flown with and just purchased. It finally showed when I was programming the esc again today. The esc just stopped making any noise. No beeps. No nothing. So I thought to put it on the charger and check it. Sure enough. It's no good. I'll agree 20c is a little low for this size but the guys at my local hobby shop thought it would work. Switched out the battery with an EFlight 30c new out of the package and boom. No more cutting out. Thanks again for all your input. Much appreciated.

Yes I did loose a cell. First time trying an "Amped Up" brand battery. Thanks for your input. You nailed it calling it a battery issue. I'll know better than to buy a 20c rated battery next time. Thanks again.

murankar

Staff member
20c has its place, just nit on a 450 heli. As for calling the battery, It was the only thing I could think of.

The lowest c rating for a 450 that I would go Is 25c. That's what I have been using for the last 2 years.

Glad that we could help.

Top Bottom