FBL Gyro Spirit (Pro) v2.0.0 Screen Shots

Heliman450

Hi all, I've been spending a lot of time making sure that my understanding of my Spirit (Pro) is correct. Thanks to all for the seeds, which pushed me to keep at it. I prepared a PowerPoint Show using the screen shots from my most recent setup.

Unfortunately, I can't upload it here.

Look forward to some feedback on how to do it.

Smoggie

You can upload zip files. So if you zip the .ppd file you should be able to upload it, assuming the file size isnt too big.

Tony

Staff member
I noticed those were screen shots. You can upload those directly to a post by taking a screen shot on yoru computer instead of putting it in a power point. If you use ctrl+alt+PrtScn it will only copy the screen you are currently on (right now, I'm on chrome, but if I click on your power point, it will only take a SS of the power point). You may have to add shift in there if your PrtScn button is on the top. My keyboard has SysRq under the PrtScn so I have to add shift into the command listed above on my desktop, but not on my lappy. Hope this helps.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, thanks for the feedback. The PowerPoint Show has 17 slides, so probably too many to just upload. For those who can't download the show and view the full collection, I've edited it down to the following screen shots. I checked them out a couple of times and they still retain some resolution when zooming in to read them. When using the Spirit Settings software and moving the cursor over the adjustment icons, I found the 'pop-up' descriptions of more use than the actual instructions. So here goes.............

S/Shot 1 Shot001 Mar06.jpg S/Shot 2 Shot002 Mar06.jpg

S/Shot 3 Shot003 Mar06.jpg S/Shot 4 Shot004 Mar06.jpg

S/Shot 5 Shot005 Mar06.jpg S/Shot 6 Shot006 Mar06.jpg S/Shot 7 Shot007 Mar06.jpg

S/Shot 8 Shot008 Mar06.jpg S/Shot 9 Shot009 Mar06.jpg

Shot009 Mar06.jpg

Shot008 Mar06.jpg

Shot007 Mar06.jpg

Shot006 Mar06.jpg

Shot005 Mar06.jpg

Shot004 Mar06.jpg

Shot003 Mar06.jpg

Shot002 Mar06.jpg

Shot001 Mar06.jpg

Heliman450

Hi all, I got some very good stuff as feedback from Rodney regarding one of the screen shots. Apparently, the tail was "out of limits" shown by the text being purple (one of the features not mentioned in the instructions). I gave it the once over from the Jeti and reduced the settings but of course that doesn't use the software, so I'll check it out at the shop tomorrow and take another screen shot for publication.

Bye for now!

trainrider06

Thank you Phil, if you would please explain the thing to watch for in the slider adjustments when you get that posted so that people can know what to look for when making their adjustments.

Smoggie

Phil,

Just a comment about swash leveling and zero'ing the pitch at mid stick (screen shot 3)

Your instructions appear to suggest that you first level the servo arms, then if the swash is not level or pitch not zero at mid stick you further adjust the arms with subtrim sliders to get the swash and pitch correct (meaning the arms are no longer level). Possibly I'm misinterpreting the instructions but if that's what you are intending to say it isn't the correct way to do it.

To get a proper setup you must have (at mid stick) ALL of these points correct:
  1. All servo arms precisely level
  2. Swash level
  3. Zero pitch

The only way to achieve all of these three points is that you first precisely level the arms using the subtrim sliders in the software to fine adjust (easiest done on many helis with servos out of the heli). After precisely leveling the arms you must not adjust their subtrim sliders any further. If there are any errors in swash level or pitch that must be corrected by adjusting the linkages. The linkage length suggested in the build instructions is just a starting point and will often need to be adjusted slightly to compensate for individual servo geometry and minor variances in servo position when they are mounted.

Heliman450

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. First see the screen shot below as the follow-up I promised regarding the tail limits. The adjustment I made in my Jeti Tx. was actually the wrong direction to correct the warning. The setting needed to be increased from 43 Left and 50 Right, not reduced so good job I checked it today ready to do a test tomorrow as the weather's looking good.

Tail Limits Screen.jpg

Tail Limits Screen.jpg

Heliman450

Phil,

Just a comment about swash leveling and zero'ing the pitch at mid stick (screen shot 3)

Your instructions appear to suggest that you first level the servo arms, then if the swash is not level or pitch not zero at mid stick you further adjust the arms with subtrim sliders to get the swash and pitch correct (meaning the arms are no longer level). Possibly I'm misinterpreting the instructions but if that's what you are intending to say it isn't the correct way to do it.

To get a proper setup you must have (at mid stick) ALL of these points correct:
  1. All servo arms precisely level
  2. Swash level
  3. Zero pitch

The only way to achieve all of these three points is that you first precisely level the arms using the subtrim sliders in the software to fine adjust (easiest done on many helis with servos out of the heli). After precisely leveling the arms you must not adjust their subtrim sliders any further. If there are any errors in swash level or pitch that must be corrected by adjusting the linkages. The linkage length suggested in the build instructions is just a starting point and will often need to be adjusted slightly to compensate for individual servo geometry and minor variances in servo position when they are mounted.

Hi Steve, thanks for looking into the text so closely. I'll have a good look at the original to see if I've made a misleading statement and create a new slide similar to the new one I did for the tail issue. I've begun preparations for a video but can't say right now when I can finalise it. Maybe I could break it up and publish smaller sessions.

Regarding the swash plate levelling and pitch setting......... Is your observation from experience with the Spirit or your wider knowledge/experience? I'll try and explain the process I used as follows:

The Spirit instructions wander around a bit so I've had to study them carefully and re-write them to consolidate my understanding. The slide show was a means of summarising this.

The rotor head is removed and the levelling tool fitted. When the tick box is selected in the 'Sub Trim (tuning)', the stick doesn't do anything, it's locked out. The servo spindles all assume their mid position, which according to Spirit can be slightly different. This was the case with my servos, hence, the slightly different values to get the arms perfectly level after a number of attempts placing the servo arms for 'best fit'. Thanks to Neil on this one as he was the main driving force for me keeping at it.

I had already reported a slight tendency for the heli to tip left when going light on the skids and this turned out to be caused by the Aileron servo not having enough travel as the swash plate moved down. Fortunately, I don't normally use the full travel so this wasn't a big issue for me at the time and to err on the safe side I also relegated my JR Tx to be my simulator Tx only.

So, still with the head removed and a perfectly level swash plate, I went into the 'Servo Travel Correction'. This releases the servos to respond to the stick, hence the opportunity to test the swash plate travel over its full range. Again, Spirit mentions the possibility that the servos may vary slightly at the extremes of their travel. This was indeed the case for mine and I was able to correct it with the sliders. The swash plate stays perfectly level throughout its travel as confirmed with the levelling tool. I moved the sliders and my Tx servo limits in combination until neither were in conflict.

After removing the levelling tool and refitting the rotor head, I was able to confirm the settings with the digital pitch gauge. -12.0, 0.0 and +12.0. These are the exact numbers quoted by Align in my assembly instructions and are maintained constantly since completing. Since I bought my turn-buckles I can adjust the pitch perfectly. One blade was -0.1 and the other was +0.2 degrees. I used the exact measurements from Align for the link rods and my best interpretation of the Spirit instructions regarding the set-up.

I did not move the Spirit's 'Sub Trim (tuning)' sliders again or the Tx. sub-trim adjustments and have a perfect swash plate set-up. I disagree that there should be any reason to change the length of the three swash plate links unless it's by exactly the same amount on all three and then only slightly. Since buying my digital calliper, it's possible to measure them perfectly. I had considered buying three turn-buckles for them as well but that's proven not to be necessary. Well done Align!

Look forward to our next exchange.

Bye for now.

Heliman450

Hi all, below are a couple of new screen shots hopefully to help clarify the situation as raised by Steve. All feedback welcome but I'll ignore any abuse :homer:

Screen Shot 01.jpg

Screen Shot 02.jpg

Screen Shot 03.jpg

Bye for now!

Screen Shot 01.jpg

Screen Shot 02.jpg

Screen Shot 03.jpg

Smoggie

Phil,

The advice I gave was basically 'good practice' setup for any heli, not specifically the Spirit. The objective of setting up any heli is the same regardless of what FBL is fitted.

I agree with you that in many cases you shouldn't have to adjust the length of links individually because the swash 'should' be perfectly level if the servo arms are perfectly level and the links are all the same length. However this only applies to swash servo layouts that have all the servos in identical 'symmetrical' orientations. Many heli designs have the elevator servo mounted in a different orientation and different height so often the elevator link length is different. The KDS Agile 7.2 i just built is one such example, but there are many others. So you do often have to be prepared to slightly adjust links to level the swash. And on all helis you should expect to have to adjust either servo links or grip control links to achieve zero pitch (rather than adjusting servo arms to an out of level position).

The other variable is servo mounting position. Servos have large mounting holes designed for rubber grommets. Some people fit these grommets, some leave them out, but either way there is still room for minor variations in the final position that the servos end up in after mounting. Minor maybe but it's still a variable.

It's a quite common mistake in setup to level the swash using 'sub trim' at the expense of having level servo arms. This leads to uneven swash travel.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Those screen shots are much better. Much larger and more clear!

Hi Tony, hope all's going well. Thanks for that. I did individual slides in PowerPoint, then saved them as Bitmaps and then ran them through Photoscape. I'll do them all that way in future. I capture the Screen Shots using Steve's recommended app "Screenhunter", it's much better than just using the 'prt sc' button. I then use the Bitmap file it produces.

I'm not receiving E-Mail notifications about replies to threads and my virus software has just started giving me warnings that the site is a dangerous Phishing site. Only started very recently.

Sorry to moan.

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Phil,

The advice I gave was basically 'good practice' setup for any heli, not specifically the Spirit. The objective of setting up any heli is the same regardless of what FBL is fitted.

I agree with you that in many cases you shouldn't have to adjust the length of links individually because the swash 'should' be perfectly level if the servo arms are perfectly level and the links are all the same length. However this only applies to swash servo layouts that have all the servos in identical 'symmetrical' orientations. Many heli designs have the elevator servo mounted in a different orientation and different height so often the elevator link length is different. The KDS Agile 7.2 i just built is one such example, but there are many others. So you do often have to be prepared to slightly adjust links to level the swash. And on all helis you should expect to have to adjust either servo links or grip control links to achieve zero pitch (rather than adjusting servo arms to an out of level position).

The other variable is servo mounting position. Servos have large mounting holes designed for rubber grommets. Some people fit these grommets, some leave them out, but either way there is still room for minor variations in the final position that the servos end up in after mounting. Minor maybe but it's still a variable.

It's a quite common mistake in setup to level the swash using 'sub trim' at the expense of having level servo arms. This leads to uneven swash travel.

Hi Steve, I also always try to place the servo arm perfectly but have only ever had one that didn't need some fine adjustment. I don't know what the units are in the Spirit gyro but one can hardly see the movement. First off, I had to move them 'miles' just to see them.

My T-Rex 550 links are all equal. If I had to change the manufacturer's spec.s for the length of the rods in future, I'd definitely buy a set of Turn-Buckles. Great little gizmos and no need to keep popping the links off the ball.

My next intended purchase has a wonderful looking pinch bolt on the servo arm. Looks much better engineered (Swiss, of course!).

Cheers Steve.

Tony

Staff member
I am working on the issue of being a phishing site. I have no idea where it came from or how it was added to google's list of bad sites. But I'm working on it. I have already put in a request with google to rescan the site and remove me from teh list. It wasn't happening last night, but when I woke up, boom, there is a large read page smacking me in the face.

I can assure you, and everyone else, this site is safe. If it wasn't, I would not be on it with my personal computer on my home network. I have too much to lose here.

I have installed all new files in the server, reinstalled fresh code for adsense and ran multiple tests to see if I could find anything. And nothing is coming up in any of the tests. So I know the site is safe and hasn't been hacked.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and as for the emails, that is what I was going to work on today when I woke up until a bigger issue came up. With this server, everything is set up manually. And I'm trying to set everything up including the mail server to send and receive mail. Now that i'm in a holding pattern on google, I will work on it some more.

Heliman450

Oh, and as for the emails, that is what I was going to work on today when I woke up until a bigger issue came up. With this server, everything is set up manually. And I'm trying to set everything up including the mail server to send and receive mail. Now that i'm in a holding pattern on google, I will work on it some more.

Hi Tony, no problem, when you're ready is fine. Here's a screen Shot of the phishing warning (it came four times until now and interrupted my upload, too).

RC Help 01 Apr-16 07.11.09.jpg

I changed my browser back to Explorer, let's see how this goes.

RC Help 01 Apr-16 07.11.09.jpg

Last edited:

trainrider06

Hi Phil, thank you for the contribution! The Spirit is a very nice controller, super stable and although I don't have the bailout on mine yet I plan on getting around to that and setting up my governor on my HW ESC, Steve thank you also for contributing to this thread, and helping me with my setup on mine, as well Neil too....oh and thanks for the ESC recommendation I really like this Hobby Wing ESC! As far as the debate on the links I usually measure mine out as per the manual level swash and servo arms, not in that order, but they only time I had to adjust any links on my setup was to bring my swash up or down.

Top Bottom