FBL Gyro Spirit Pro Set Up

Smoggie

Very interesting........................ so how does Wi-Fi work in the field?

It worked very easily. I'd actually never used it during initial set up, when I had problems in the field was the first time I'd attempted to use it. It's rather like setting up a wireless router at home. It shows up in your phone's list of available wireless networks, so you connect top it like any other network. You then just type in the URL name in your phones web browser and it logs you into the Spirit setup in a browser interface, it couldn't be any easier.
Of course having Tx integration like your Jeti has is probably the better option, but for us Spektrum users that's not about to happen. The WiFi module is a close second.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, sorry for my doubt but I thought it went directly into the unit via Bluetooth like I connect my phone into the car's sound system. I'm still not sure how it's working exactly. Here we don't have a wireless network everywhere (they had it in Singapore during our 2-years' stay 2008/9) . I only see the networks of my neighbours and when I'm out and about the available networks change sometimes showing office systems or various free options like the one on the trains but there's obviously a security risk using those. I use ones where they give me a code such as our local supermarkets but there has to be a box of tricks somewhere like we have at home.

My question is really whose Wi-Fi network ('box of tricks') is it connecting to when you're at the field? From your description above, it sounds like it's using your telephone provider's mega-giga thingey allowance under your contract like when I connect via 'Safari' with my iPhone to the internet, in which case you're using your allowance to pay for it. Then I don't understand how your changes are received by the unit. It's quite clear to me when I do it via my transmitter as I understand the tech.

Harford

Hi Smoggie and Heliman
Thanks for your advice about setting up Stabilisation function. I had been working on the premise that I would be flying as I usually do in HH mode and then while in flight, flick a switch and suddenly be in stabilization mode. I now understand from what you are saying that to use the stabilization function, you must be in normal (rate) mode. So does this mean if I take the more simple option, I select stabilization mode prior to take off using the switch I have allocated for this task, and as well select normal mode using the switch I have for selecting HH or rate mode. The complete flight is then completed in stabilization mode.

Heliman, thanks for the photo of your test/training gear. I have something similar for each of my helis, to reduce the risk of tipping over on an uneven surface, as well as a little insurance against pilot inadequacies. Photo attached.

Landing skid.jpg

Heliman450

Hi Harford,

I've only used mine as a first-flight security just in case the heli does something scary. My last few maidens have resulted in trouble-free lifts offs, which I like to think of as testimony of my improved build/setup skills :biggrin1:

It's only recently that it's come into service to help with my far distance orientation issues. As I don't do any stunts, it doesn't impair the heli significantly although it must be sapping the flight battery is it certainly isn't aerodynamic. As it's so brightly coloured and sticks out so much it's perfect to see the tilt of the heli and it's direction as the rear golf balls are different colours than the side and front ones. No real reason for that other than I bought one bag each of yellow and orange beforehand on a UK visit a while back.

On the visibility thing, at our club I saw a guy's T-Rex 600 sporting some very brightly coloured rotor blades (florescent green). I thought it looked a bit odd at first but when I saw it flying it did help to see both rotors. We also had a guest visit from Hugo (Modellsport.ch | Der Onlineshop) although I didn't see it and I'm told he had a set of LED rotor blades. I'm not sure how that works. I suspect they aren't LED's rather a brightly coloured set possibly luminescent for night-time visibility as his visit was for a night event.

Sorry, I'm taking the thread a bit off topic.

Smoggie

Hartford, no if you enable stability the gyro defaults to heading hold mode, even though gyro is a negative value. If for some reason you wanted stability and rate gyro mode you would need to get creative with the programming but not many would need that option.

Phil, connecting to a your own wifi network is free, it doesn't use a mobile network in any way. You don't even need a mobile, a tablet or laptop with no mobile network connectivity works just as well.

Harford

Thank you Smoggie. No I don't want to use rate mode. I just don't understand what I should be doing with gain when setting up stabilisation. I just replied to you about this in Helimans D/R and Expo thread.

Heliman450

Hi Harford, Steve, I saw the threads arriving but only just got back to the computer after a long day at the fields cutting grass and cleaning up the equipment followed by a three-battery session with the 550. First to the exchanges regarding the Tx. I can't talk of the DX9 but it's probably similar to my JR ProPo DSX9. No reason to go there.

My first question is really to Steve's comment about the Spirit Pro defaulting to 'Heading Hold' mode. I checked my Jeti and it's still showing the 'Stabilisation (Normal)' as activated but unfortunately, I can't see the screen the same as in the software where it shows what mode it's receiving from the transmitter. The Tx. is set to -70%, so presumably, the Spirit Pro is receiving a Rate signal. It certainly reacts as though it's in stabilisation mode. Please can you explain a bit more detail about what you mean?

Second question is again to Steve. I still don't understand what you're saying about a Wi-Fi network. Of course I know how my own system works but my network only works around the house. As it's an old factory converted into lofts, I suppose neighbours can see my network the same as I see theirs. Once I'm out of the building I'm not connected. Can you describe your system so that I understand how the Spirit Pro can be adjusted at the field over Wi-Fi? What do the displays look like, the same as the software?

Smoggie

Phil, all I'm saying on the negative gain thing is that it can be used to activate any one of the following features:
  • Rate mode
  • Stability
  • Rescue
But it only activates one feature, so for instance if you have the Spirit set for stabilisation then negative gain gives you only stabilisation, it doesn't activate rate mode or rescue.

By using different banks you can set different functions in each bank, so it's possible to have all the functions available but only one at a time.

Smoggie

As for the wifi, the wifi adapter makes the Spirit work similar to your home wifi network. It's just a way for the Spirit to communicate with other wifi enabled devices. It doesn't need mobile phone network or internet connectivity.
In principal it's similar to Bluetooth but wifi has a longer range.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, thanks for your perseverance on these issues. I want to have my understanding clear before publishing a video of the setting up process asap.

I'm setting up to reconnect my Spirit Pro to the laptop to do some more investigation tomorrow.

My understanding is that negative gain values on any gyro is called 'Normal (or Rate) Mode'. Provided I have a negative value in the Tx. under the transmitter's method of adjusting it (whatever that might be for a particular Tx. make) then the Spirit Pro unit will follow this value to activate and follow whatever stability option the 'Stabi' Tab is selected for in the software (apart from when it's 'Disabled' of course). This leaves the user to create a method for switching the 'Stabi' function on or off in the simplest of examples. If the user wants to have different options available, this can be via programming in different banks or in different flight modes. This will also vary depending upon the make of Tx. being used. However, the 'Rescue' function must be activated by a switch (preferably a spring switch) and only activated by the pilot for a minimum of time until the heli is once again out of danger and ready for another attempt at the new manoeuvre or to land safely and change pampers.

My testing tomorrow will focus on what looks like my Spirit Pro is in fact defaulting to a 'Heading Hold' positive value despite it receiving a minus 70% setting from my Jeti DC-14. Yesterday evening when I went to the field, I was able to move the tail rotor to left and right and it stayed there when I released the rudder stick. I could move it slowly to the centre position and a bit further right or left. It didn't snap back to a central position, which it did when connected to the laptop during my last setup session.

The heli displays distinct stabilisation reactions i.e. when it receives a small cyclic command and the stick is released, it rocks back to its previous position. If it receives an increased command and released, it will slow down but continues in the selected direction but slows down significantly leaving plenty of time to give an opposing command to stop its progress. I can't see the display that shows what the gyro is receiving from my Jeti's interface.

Of course, what could be happening is that the negative value is activating the function but the gyro's interpretation of it for its gain function is as an equivalent positive 'Heading Hold' value. This would explain what I'm seeing at the field.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I still don't understand what mechanism and how the unit receives it's signals. When I can't see a Wi-Fi network on my mobile, it communicates via 3G or 4G, whichever is available. What do you mean by "It's just a way for the Spirit to communicate with other wifi enabled devices."................... such as what? It must at least have a screen and an application (provided by Spirit) for it to work. What displays are seen? Are they identical to what I see via the software installed on my laptop (v2.4.1)?

Thanks again for your patience.

Smoggie

Phil, if you have stability activated then you be in heading hold, just as you suspect. This is no 'quirk' like I said, negative value on gain activates only one feature, so if stability in on rate is off. There is probably a way to have both on if you go deeper into the settings but I don't know why you would want to use rate mode to be honest.

With the wifi link the Spirit setup interface comes up in a standard web browser, Safari in the case of my iPhone but any web browser works.

Harford

So does this mean I set up Stabilisation in my software, activate it by a switch allocated to it on my TX, and leave the switch I have on my Tx for switching between HH and Rate left in the HH position ?
Many thanks

Heliman450

Hi Harford, I assume your heli is still in limbo on this and you haven't managed to fly since this dialogue began. Is this the case?

Today, I'm going to the field early for some last minute trials before connecting up again to the software a bit later on. I suspect that you will need to keep the switch in the 'Rate' mode and the Spirit will do the conversion to 'HH' inside. At the moment, this is effectively what I'm doing, although my Jeti has a 3-Position switch allocated to gyro settings. I can programme any switch to any function and move them physically around the Tx., too. I can also programme a slider with a switching function and the B.D. can accept a variable setting, although I backed off from doing that one as recommended.

I'll get back later on today with my feedback. Once I understand enough myself, I'll ask in the Spirit Forum for their response.

I'm also interested in the wireless option despite being able to access via the Tx., hence, my queries to Steve regarding its functioning.

Bye for now.

Harford

Many thanks Heliman
I have not flow the helicopter since the short test hover. This is not because of the stabilization issue, just that the weather is poor. I can fly without stabilization (I have never had that facility previously), it is just that I would like to try it, but as you can see I am still not clear precisely on the setup and procedure. I don't want to risk my 600 because I have not done my homework properly.

I look forward to hearing from you later. I was thinking about the Spirit forum also.

All the best with your flying today.

Heliman450

Hi Steve,

I looked into the Wi-Fi link on Hugo's website. This link shows the Wi-Fi module Modellsport.ch | Spirit FBL Wifi-Link | online kaufen and this one a Bluetooth module that's only available for Android devices Modellsport.ch | Spirit FBL Bluetooth Modul | online kaufen.

When you describe using your iPhone via Safari, it must be interfacing the web using 3G/4G whichever is available from the field. That sounds good as the description of Wi-Fi -Link was preventing me from bothering to follow it up earlier. I'd be interested in having the option if the displays are more software-like than my Jeti screens.

Heliman450

Hi Harford, I'm more than happy to be involved as I was wanting to go through the process of activating the 'Rescue (Normal)' mode but have been wanting to expand my understanding of what's inside the little silver box into the bargain. You've been helping me, too.

I, too was very cautious about what I'd done, hence, using my testing/training gear as backup. I think it's a good precaution whenever I've finished making adjustments to my helis.

Smoggie

When you describe using your iPhone via Safari, it must be interfacing the web using 3G/4G whichever is available from the field. That sounds good as the description of Wi-Fi -Link was preventing me from bothering to follow it up earlier. I'd be interested in having the option if the displays are more software-like than my Jeti screens.

No Phil, no mobile network is required. It works through the local WiFi network that the WiFi dongle creates with your phone, it will work equally well on pads or laptops that have no mobile phone network connectivity, or in areas out of range of a mobile signal. WiFi doesnt require a mobile network to function. WiFi is simply a radio communication protocol. It's most often used to wirelessly share an internet connection via a modem but that's only one possible use for it, it can be used to transfer any form of data. Anyway, it works very well.

I'll get some screen shots later..

Heliman450

Hi Steve, well done! An answer that explains the difference to me. That's why I needed to keep asking until I understood. In that case, I'm more inclined to buy one when the displays are better than what my Jeti produces.

Heliman450

Hi all,

Attached is the screen shot from the 'Diagnostics' Tab for my Spirit Pro. I did nothing apart from connect up the unit and check the gyro indicator. As you can see this is showing 'Heading-Lock + Stabi' underneath the band. This confirms what we were discussing earlier on. The second screen shot shows the display after making a change in the 'Stabi' Tab. The blades snapped to +5.5 degrees with 40% set as the 'Rescue Collective Pitch' setting and then to 7.0 degrees with 50%. I'll spend a bit of time with it and see if I can activate a switch or something to select this function whilst having the 'Stabilisation (Normal)' as at the moment it seems to be locked into the setup

01S_Spirit Diagnostic Tab.jpg 02S_Spirit Diagnostic Tab.jpg

Top Bottom