FBL Gyro Spirit Pro Set Up

Harford

I thought I would start a new thread to focus on the Spirit Pro set up - well at least the questions I have about this process.

To re-cap, this is about installing a Spirit Pro on a Trex 600 (electric) using a DX9 and two Spektrum DSMX satellites.

My first question concerns the Swash settings in the Tx. The manual says select the swash type for yr model which in my case is CCPM 120. I have done this in the swash type menu but the manual goes on to say any swash mixing in the Tx must be switched off (configured to H1 single servo type). The swash mix settings in my Tx are currently set ay +60% for Ail, Ele and Pit. These must be default values as I did not enter them. What do I do here please in order to comply with the instruction to switch off swash mixing ? (set them to 0% ?). I have gone through the set up process using the wizard with them set like this so will I need to redo some/all of the set up ?

Next question is cyclic ring tuning. I am not sure what I need to do here so any guidance would be appreciated. The manual also refers to setting the Aileron/Elevator maximum cyclic pitch range which I am not sure about. I have set the collective pitch range (+/- 10 degrees) and the cyclic pitch at 6 degrees.

Third question is about the best way to set the rudder gain. Can you possibly give my a step by step process to follow using the DX9 Tx.

Your help with this would be much appreciated.

Smoggie

The swash type in the Tx must be set to 'Normal' or 'single servo' (I cant recall specifically what the DX9 says). This turns off all CCPM mixing which is what you must have for almost all FBL controllers (except Align 3GX). The CCPM mixing is done in the FBL unit so must be turned off in the Tx, this is critical otherwise you wont get past step one in the setup. If you have attempted to set it up using CCPM mixing in the Tx then you will have to go through the setup again from scratch. The swash type (120 Deg) is set in the 'general' tab of the Spirit software, not in the Tx.

The default setting for cyclic ring should be ok. It's best not to increase it too high because it can cause the flip that occurs if you hit rescue from inverted to be too violent. It must also be low enough so that you dont get any mechanical binding at the extremes of combined collective and cyclic travel.

Tail gain is easy enough, you just set gain to the gear channel in the Tx and that should show up in the 'Gyro' slider bar in the diagnostics screen in the setup software.

Harford

Thank you Smoggie. I should know about setting the swash type to Normal in the Tx. When doing this, the swash mixing option disappears in the DX9. This is precisely how I set up the Beastx on my 450 & 550, just as you say.

Tail gain set up you describe again is the same as I have done with the BeastX set up. For my 450 & 550 I have used a gain of 40% and this seems fine for these two helis so I guess I will set the gain at the same level for the 600. However, I see the Spirit manual refers to Rudder Common gain (separate from Rudder gain) and states that gyro gain in the Tx should be set at approx. 50% for first flight. I don't pretend to know what this means - is rudder common gain the same as gyro gain and how is this different from rudder gain ?

Many thanks again

Smoggie

Just leave the rudder common gain at default (1.00 x).
It's a 'multiplier' that works in conjunction to the gain setting in the Tx, so if you find that you are approaching 100% in the Tx and you still need more gain then you can increase the common gain multiplier value. I've not had to adjust it above default.

Harford

Thanks again. Wizard step 10 says set rudder gain to 50% for the first flight. As I have mentioned , I have gyro gain set to 40% for my 450 and 550. Should I be doing something different for the Spirit/600 set up, ie do I set the gyro gain in the DX9 to 50% instead of 40% ? As I have said I don't know the difference between rudder gain and gyro gain. I can only apologise for the inane questions.

Smoggie

The 50% is just a starting point. Rudder gain should always be adjusted based on flight testing. Gradually increase until the tail just starts to oscillate (probably noticable in fast flight first).. then back down a few % from that point.

'Gyro gain' is a general term and on a FBL controller could in theory relate to either 'head gyro' gain or 'rudder gyro' gain. Head gain and rudder gain are adjustable separately in the Spirit (under the 'Sensor' tab) though the head gain is usually just fine at default value.

Harford

Thank you for this. I understand the basic principles of setting the rudder gain but just a little nervous about moving from 40% which works perfectly on the BeastX helis to 50%. But ok, I will see what happens.

Can you tell me please what I should be doing about setting the Failsafe. In the General tab in the software, there is an option to select channels, and once you do this you can select a set Failsafe option. Once done , there is a confirmation that failsafe is set. Is this all that is required ?, or are some values to be entered somewhere ?

Thanks again for your help

Harford

Further to my question above, I am guessing that 'Indicator' bar beside each function on the Receiver Channel Mapping page represents where each function will go if signal is lost. To test, I powered up heli (motor disconnected, main blades off) , moved collective up to give positive pitch, turned Tx off, a second or two later the swash moved down to a negative /neutral pitch position. So I guess I can say that Failsafe is working.

Smoggie

Yes, that's how you set the failsafe, no need for any further steps. It may be worth setting failsafe to activate auto level, that way if you do ever lose signal and the failsafe activates the heli will at least level out.

Harford

Thanks re the failsafe. Rescue, stabilization, auto level is a whole new area I haven't ventured into yet (and know nothing about). I thought now that I have completed the basic setup, I would see if I could get the heli to fly. No such luck though, as now I cannot get the ESC to arm. This heli previously flew with a 3GX and a DX7. No problem at all arming with this combination, and there was no need for any throttle end point adjustments.
I had a similar problem in April with my 550 and a Castle Talon 90 ESC plus DX9. Smoggie provided me with a video plus a step by step description of the process. It worked perfectly for the 550.
I have tried the same process (multiple times) with the 600 & DX9. It will not work. To summarise, this is what I have done :
1. Straight line throttle curve 0 - 100%
2. Tx on, Throttle travel adjust in Tx set to +40% & -40%
3. Throttle stick to maximum, plug heli in
4. Increase upper throttle adjust until you hear the short jingle, two further clicks.
Everything is ok to this point.
5. Close throttle stick fully, then start increasing lower travel adjust.
The problem here is that I never get the noise/tone.
The ESC is a Castle Phoenix ICE2 HV.
I would be very grateful for some help with this (and sorry that this is no doubt in the wrong thread).

Heliman450

Hi Harford, looks like Smoggie has been working the night shift on this :hdbng:. No such thing as inane questions here and in my opinion no problem dealing with the ESC issue here either as it's all about getting your heli set up with the Spirit Pro........ I'd have to do some research on the ESC to be 100% as I haven't used the Phoenix.

I suspect that you may have to go through the fail safe once more with both sets of rotor blades removed and the motor connected. I normally do the test process in my workshop with the heli clamped on the bench but I have also done it at the field with the main blades removed and just hold the heli down on a table by hand just to make sure it doesn't get full throttle and move left/right when the tail rotor spins up. So far I've never had a problem. I also test the motor shut off function with the throttle Hold switch.

Reading through the above threads, it may be a good thing to just summarise what you've done completely as it may be that something's slipped through the net as you've been flipping backwards and forwards so much e.g the Tx. issue and the mixing.

Harford

Thank you Heliman. It is correct that I set the failsafe without the motor connected. You are absolutely correct in saying that I have presented issues as I have come across them so the communications are disjointed. More than happy to summarise this, I have keep notes as I have progressed (?) from step to step in order to make it easier next time. I will write a summary and post it tomorrow.

I am very grateful for your help.

Smoggie

When using DSM2 /DSMX satellite receivers the throttle travel limits are adjustable in the Spirit software. The default travel limits arent enough to work with the Castle ESC so they need increasing.
In the 'general' tab there under the 'Throttle Governor' section press the big button marked 'Settings'. This brings up a new box and in that new box are twp boxes to adjust the throttle range. By the sound of things the upper (max) range calibration worked ok, so you can probably leave that alone, so you just need to reduce the value on the lower (min.) range. default is 1100 μs so try reducing it to 1000 μs and go through the ESC calibration process again. If it still doesnt work reduce the setting some more. When adjusting in the Tx you can adjust beyond 100% if necessary.

I've attached a screen shot to highlight the value to change:
ScreenHunter_24 Jul. 06 09.29.jpg

Heliman450

After doing changes in this parameter, don't forget to redo the 'Fail Safe' and test it as your final step before a test flight. This is where I hit my problem relating to losing the settings. It may have been cleared up as an issue during software updates but better safe than sorry.

Harford

Thank you very much for this. I will go through this process first thing in the morning and report back.

Harford

Well, another example of Smoggie's impeccable advice. Changed the lower throttle setting to 1000us in the software and problem solved. Got the noise (jingle) at low stick, ESC now arms. I can't thank you enough and wonder how I could possibly progress in a hobby like this without access to such expertise. I also re-set the Failsafe, although I think the setting was probably still in place as the program did not ask me if I wanted to save changes on exiting which it usually does. In any event I tested the Failsafe after this - heli powered up, motor going (no blades !), turned Tx off, a couple of seconds later swash dropped and motor stopped. So I believe all is well.

Heliman450

Sounds great! Spurred on by events here, I have my 550 assembled and all electronics are set up. Next job is to go over it and loctite everything in place that should be. Then a final check through the gyro settings before a maiden that looks like Saturday afternoon/early evening.

When are you planning a maiden Harford?

Harford

About two hours time (Saturday morning here). Batteries charging now, about to set up the curves on the Tx, blades on, final check etc. Hope all goes well with your 550.

Harford

Maiden flight has taken place - well 'flight' is an embellishment - gentle hover, slight movement forward etc as my back garden is not big enough for a 600. In any event it was in the air about 2 metres high only but behaved impeccably. Completely stable, I am very happy. I will take it to my flying field next week, weather permitting. Next project is to set up stabilization ...

Top Bottom