General Spektrum Receiver Question

fhu667

I have two receivers in my parts bin. I have an AR400 which is a full range 4 channel DSMX receiver.
I also have a AR6100E which is a DSM2, 6 channel receiver.

I have 2 planes that need receivers, and both are foam with about 1400mm wingspans.
the full range receiver has a longer antennae that I assume will need to poke out the side of the fuselage somewhere?
The AR6100E has two little short antennaes that pretty much aren't going to poke through anything as far as I can tell.

One of these planes is the wife's plane, so I need it to be done right. I also don't mind using different receivers with a satellite if I need to. What are the rules with sats? I keep hearing that on a heli if you fly anything over a 450 that you should use two sats. I read somewhere that nitro planes really needed sats because of the mass of the engine, but electrics not so much. What's the real scoop?

pvolcko

On a foamie I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't going to interfere with signal strength like carbon fiber and other denser materials might.

On helis the need for multiple antennas/sats on 500+ size models is due all the CF in the frame, the metal tail booms, tightly packed motor, esc, batteries, etc. In a foam plane you can make sure to just get that Rx back away from the main electronics and you should be fine.

Always do a range check to be sure, before flying a new model. If you have concerns, do the range check from a couple of different angles to make sure there is no directional interference.

fhu667

I wondered if doing a range check from different angles might be a good idea. When doing a range check does it help to try different angles with the transmitter as well since the antennae direction makes a difference?

Lee

I have park flyer RXs in all my foamies. All in the fuselage with no worries of losing signal.

Derek

Yeah, if you are looking to put the rx's in foamies, something very dramatic would have to happen for you to lose signal. I have the Spektrum AR6115e 6-Channel DSMX Microlite Receiver on one of my foamies and I have literally flown it, vertically, out of visual range (not recommended) and never lost signal.

benhan82

Just on the topic of the satellite antennae, I just bought an Eurgle satellite receiver to attach to a Tarot ZYX gyro, but I notice the antennae on the satellite receiver are about 15cm long. I've only seen the shorter antennae (about 5cm) on the video build I've watched.

What's the difference? Will it work the same?

fhu667

Just on the topic of the satellite antennae, I just bought an Eurgle satellite receiver to attach to a Tarot ZYX gyro, but I notice the antennae on the satellite receiver are about 15cm long. I've only seen the shorter antennae (about 5cm) on the video build I've watched.

What's the difference? Will it work the same?

I'm not sure of the answer to that one, but if no one replies start another thread and maybe people will see the new topic heading and reply.

My full range antennae is a longer antennae. It's not like the short 5cm ones. Maybe that's the difference between the short and long on the Eurgle.

pvolcko

I doubt it will be any different. AR7200BX units have a long and short antenna on them, Spektrum sats have the shorter antennas. Just make sure they are away from any moving parts and it should be fine.

Top Bottom