General Spektrum DXS question

Loopy

According to the HZ Carbon Cub manual the DXS TXM supplied in the RTF version will not support adding flaps to the plane. The 3 position switch # 7 is unused. Why can't that be used for the flaps? :help:

Fly-n-Low

Does it have a Spektrum 4650 Serial Receiver? DSMX SRXL2 Serial Micro Receiver (SPM4650): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

As for extra switches, one of mine you can toggle back and forth from SAFE mode and normal... ?

Says the DXS is a 7 channel? DXS Transmitter Only (SPMR1010): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

How do the servo wires plug up to the RX???

If normal plugs, you can replace it with an AR 620 or if you want SAFE mode, an AR 630.

Does it have the linkage for flaps? You have to add a servo and do some cutting on the foam for them to work.

Disclaimer!!!:

My S Cub (predecessor to the CC with smaller tires) flew fine without flaps. With an APC prop it was even better! It would go vertical for a short spell. I never pushed it... 100' vertical and level off when I was playing. It had an 18 amp ESC! I see yours has a 30 AMP! Which is so much better! HobbyZone Carbon Cub S 2 1.3m RTF with SAFE | Horizon Hobby

Loopy

Does it have a Spektrum 4650 Serial Receiver? DSMX SRXL2 Serial Micro Receiver (SPM4650): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

As for extra switches, one of mine you can toggle back and forth from SAFE mode and normal... ?

Says the DXS is a 7 channel? DXS Transmitter Only (SPMR1010): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

How do the servo wires plug up to the RX???

If normal plugs, you can replace it with an AR 620 or if you want SAFE mode, an AR 630.

Does it have the linkage for flaps? You have to add a servo and do some cutting on the foam for them to work.

Disclaimer!!!:

My S Cub (predecessor to the CC with smaller tires) flew fine without flaps. With an APC prop it was even better! It would go vertical for a short spell. I never pushed it... 100' vertical and level off when I was playing. It had an 18 amp ESC! I see yours has a 30 AMP! Which is so much better! HobbyZone Carbon Cub S 2 1.3m RTF with SAFE | Horizon Hobby
Thanks Fly-N-Low.
The DXS is a 7 channel. I have the SPM4650 RCVR. The #7 switch is a 3 position switch. I have to buy the flap servo that mounts in the wing. Flap linkage is in the wing.
I know others have added flaps to this plane, but no mention of the TXM used. I don't want to buy the flap servo if I have to buy another TXM. I was hoping someone that has added flaps would respond to my question as well.

Fly-n-Low

Forgot to post this:

Disclaimer number 2... I don't regret adding flaps to my two Sport Cubs so I added it to my HZ CC. Talk about floating in! Most radios now have a two position flap switch with elevator mix and if dialed in is very nice. I land my Cubs with power for the most part. First stage of flaps, it will jump off the ground on take off.

My planes are all bind and fly, so that is why they came with flap ready RX... ? I don't know.

Loopy

Forgot to post this:

Disclaimer number 2... I don't regret adding flaps to my two Sport Cubs so I added it to my HZ CC. Talk about floating in! Most radios now have a two position flap switch with elevator mix and if dialed in is very nice. I land my Cubs with power for the most part. First stage of flaps, it will jump off the ground on take off.

My planes are all bind and fly, so that is why they came with flap ready RX... ? I don't know.
Well, I've ordered the flap servo. I think the DXS txm will do the job. Will update when I get everything back together after my last crash. :banghead: :mad: I have a new fuselage and wing set on order.

potpies

Well, I've ordered the flap servo. I think the DXS txm will do the job. Will update when I get everything back together after my last crash. :banghead: :mad: I have a new fuselage and wing set on order.
For anyone else finding this in the future, it is possible to use the DXS TSM with flaps.

I had this same question, went through with ordering the flap servo and servo extension, (SPMSA382 and SPMA3052, respectively) and it works great once plugged into the flight controller. (I believe it's port 8 on the flight controller)

I didn't have to do anything else, the spare 3-position switch controlled the flaps perfectly once it was wired up. There is one caveat to using the DXS TSM for the flaps, and it's specified in the manual:

"The included DXS ... is not recommended for the optional flaps as it lacks the necessary mixing functions. The use of flaps typically requires an elevator compensation mix, which the DXS does not currently support"

In my experience, it works just dandy, you just need to lower the throttle and ride the elevators when the flaps are down to maintain or lose any altitude.

Attachments

• necessary_parts.png
    necessary_parts.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
  • flap_installation_instructions.png
    flap_installation_instructions.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 2

RandyDSok

Mixing is certainly a nice feature to have no doubt, to say it's a necessary is at the least a poor choice of words. At least they included the "not recommended" before that sentence.

Top Bottom