450 Spacers

RMB677

I finished assembling my Trex 450 Sport V2 (tail belt driven). I had a bit of vibration when spooling up for blade tracking adjustment and after checking noted excessive play up and down with the main shaft. I installed spacers totalling 1mm (5 @ 0.2mm) before the shaft was solid. Is this an acceptable amount of spacers or is something out of spec.? I did have the shorter end of the main shaft into the gears.

Also, compared to my Blade 450 the swash movement doesn't appear to have as great a range, I used the +60% swash mix numbers recommended in Tony's video for the DX6i setup. Would increasing the swash mix settings increase the range of movement for the swash?

Slobberdog

the writing on the Align shaft should be below the collar where you cant see it, if you have it on top of the collar its in wrong.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, the Align logo on teh main shaft will be where the main gear goes. I usually don't like running that many shims, but sometimes, you have to do what you have to do. 1mm is a LOT of play in that head. You can try to loosen your main blocks and spread them apart to take up some of that space, but after a while, they will push together once again. If your main shaft is installed correctly, then I would just leave those shims in there. Make sure to hit them with a very slight amount of oil to keep them from rubbing together and possibly causing interference.

Tony

Staff member
Oh and as for the swash mix numbers, You need to get your pitch gauge out and check the pitch. You should have between 10º-12º of collective pitch, and 8º-10º of cyclic pitch. 60 is just a starting point and is where the Tx defaults to on a new model. You will have to make this unique to yourself and your helicopter on what feels right.

RMB677

Thanks for the replys. I did/do have the labeled end of the shaft on the down end. Another thing I note is when spooling up for blade aliegnment check I go through a point of vibration at about 25% of stick. It clears as the rpm's go up.

Tony

Staff member
As long as it goes away, it's completely normal to have some vibration on spool up. Real helicopters have the same thing.

Top Bottom