General solo pro 229 help please

tricky1400

hi not sure if anyone can hep but I have a nine eagles solo pro 229 helicopter and i am still struggling to set it up correctly ready to fly .

it was meant to come set up straight from the box but it doesn't .

i have been through the menus on the transmitter and checked the throttle and pitch curves and they seem ok but when i spool it up i can go to full stick and the heli will not lift .

it has separate motors for the main and tail blades , the tail seems to be spinning fast enough but the main blades / motor don't sound as if they are at full speed .

the heli is brand new never been flown so i doubt any parts need changing , i am guessing it has something to do with the transmitter settings

the transmitter is a Futaba J6

here is a link to the helicopter type

any help would be much appreciated

DSC05084-580x391.jpg

Admiral

Good looking little helicopter, my first thought on your issue is the battery is either faulty or no being fully charged.
Do you have a battery tester or multi meter ? fully charge your 3s should be getting to 12.6V.

tricky1400

Good looking little helicopter, my first thought on your issue is the battery is either faulty or no being fully charged.
Do you have a battery tester or multi meter ? fully charge your 3s should be getting to 12.6V.

Admiral , good shout mate ,i just fully charged the battery with the nine eagles balance charger supplied with the helicopter , it showed the correct sequence of lights , green flashing light while charging , constant green plus audio beep when fully charged , then i checked the voltage on the 3 cell 11.1 v battery and it was 8.2 v !

would this suggest a faulty cell ? only 2 of the cells working ?

not good if it is because i have not even used the battery to fly the helicopter yet !

all i have done is plugged it in to check settings etc and attempt to fly

I dont have another battery the same size to fit inside of the fuselage but i do have a bigger battery same spec , 3 cell , 11.1 v , what i am thinking now is get that battery charged up and attempt to fly the heli with it , then if it works i can buy a few more batteries which will fit inside of the fuselage

thanks again for your help , i really hope this works as itching to fly the heli :)

holtneil

Hi mate if you have a 4 button lipo charger make a single cell lead up and try to charge the cell thats down , I did this on a battery and it works fine now

Dennis H

Admiral , good shout mate ,i just fully charged the battery with the nine eagles balance charger supplied with the helicopter , it showed the correct sequence of lights , green flashing light while charging , constant green plus audio beep when fully charged , then i checked the voltage on the 3 cell 11.1 v battery and it was 8.2 v !

would this suggest a faulty cell ? only 2 of the cells working ?

It definetly shows a problem with one of the cells. You have a 3s 11.1v LiPo Battery, correct? It should read a little over 12.0v's (or close to this) when fully charged. A balance cord or board that's faulty could be the culpert.

Using the balance lead, you should be able to see which cell is not charging. With a Voltmeter, the balance plug end with the black wire, start there holding your - pin there, take your + lead and move out one pin at a time. The second pin should show 3.7v +/-, the third pin should show 7.4v's */-, and the fourth pin should show 11.1v +/- a few tenths. Make sure you set your Voltmeter to the appropriate voltage.

Finding the dead cell should stand out. Or if you or a friend has an icharger 306, 408, 4010, etc., it will immediately show the cell voltage of each cell.

Or if you have a known good 11.1v LiPo, try it out on the Heli just to verify the motor spools up like it should.

Lets go from here. The above method does work, you just have to be careful. This is true with any method while using LiPo batteries.

Let us know, Dennis

tricky1400

i do have a 3s 11.1v battery

its new and hasn't been used to fly the heli

i have put a volt meter on it and identified the faulty cell , its the one furthest away from the black lead on the charging plug , the first two are showing voltage but the third cell is zero .

the first cell reads 4.1 , the second cell 4.1 , third zero

i have made up one off those pins shown in the video and plugged just the two wires to the dead cell into the lipo charger and i am not getting a charging light , its not flashing a warning light , just a power light and no charging light , i have left it for about 30 minutes but still no charging light .

not sure what to do now

should the dead cell charge with just the two wires going to it ? i have made sure the negative wire is the one closest to the black wire on the charging block

thanks for your help

ps

i have tried another 3s 11.1v battery on the heli and it spolls up properly and even flies :)
only problem was because the battery was too big to fit inside the fuselage i had to secure it under the fuselage , but it worked :)

holtneil

Hi mate yes it will charge using 2 wires but use a low amp to start off for the first try to charge the dead cell , it may recovery mine was not zero on the low cell it was 1.20 v and it did recover well so I have the battery working again so its worth a try

Top Bottom