General Soldering

Wasn't sure where to post, as this is a general question, but since it's a plane i'm next working on, this looks as good a place as any.
I've read on here a few times, that when soldering deans plugs, make sure you have the other end plugged in.
What is the reason for this? is it purely to help dissipate the heat build up, or are there other reasons?
I've never done it in the past, due to my ignorance, but now that i've read that, i'm curious to see what the reason is, and if it will help me make a nicer joint

DAL2855

Banned
Tony explained that it's because if the plastic of the connector deforms in any way while you're soldering, then you won't be able to get the two connections together after getting everything soldered up and ready to go. And this does make sense. If they deform, then they deform together still allowing you to connect the two together.

Tony

Staff member
It not only adds more surface area to dissipate the heat better, but if yo do melt a plug (and you will), then you will have another one where the plug didn't melt so it will still be usable.

Ah ok sweet!!
I guess i've gotten lucky each of the other times!!
I can see it will make my soldering easier as well, as I can hold it better if I have it connected. I don't have a little vice yet :(

Tony

Staff member
Just DON'T plug it into a battery!!! Sparks will FLY! lmao. As me how I know. I have an extra wire somewhere that I use to do the soldering. The wire also helps dissipate the heat as well.

how do you hook up the wire?
I'm guessing you tin the plugs, tin the wire, and then happy soldering? Well that's been my process anyway

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I will tin the plug first since it heats up easier and faster, and then I will tin the wire. You have to make sure to get good solder penetration in the wire though, not just on the outside. and this takes a LOT of heat and a little too much time.

When you are ready to solder the wire onto the plug, put your iron on the bottom side of the wire and melt the solder, then add just a bit more fresh solder. With teh wire still on the iron, move it all down and touch the other side of the iron to the plug, again, use more solder to help flow it out. Once the connection is made, put your iron on top of the wire, making sure all solder is melted, and once you are sure it is, remove the iron and hold it VERY still until you see the gloss go away. Then, pull like hell on the wire to make sure you don't have a cold solder joint.

Karubah

Make sure you have a soldering iron that can transfer heat quickly. If you use a low wat iron it takes a long while to get wires and plugs up to the right temp and this allows the heat to transfer over a wider area melting plastic parts. By using a higher heat and a larger tip on thick wires you get the bit you want soldered to right temp faster and there is less transfer of heat away from where you want it. I hope this makes sense, if not someone will chime in that can explain it better.

I've got my old man's soldering iron, and it certainly heats up more than enough!!
good one and temp controlled etc
the only way I've melted parts is when I've touched the iron on the plastic lol ooops
Was just curious on the having the deans plugs together when soldering.

pvolcko

Only down side to having the other end on there while soldering. If you do heat it up enough to start melting the plastic housing, you may heat it up enough that the spring will push away and leave a void in the housing, resulting in a poor connection and almost no spring tension to hold things together when you plug it in after it cools. So don't rely on this trick as a heat sink method, with deans plugs you need to be quick about it.

the other day it took me no more 10mins to solder up 3 deans plugs, that includes the time to cut and strip the wires tin them etc. Was doing an adaptor for my car so that I can use a single battery if I choose. My soldering is starting to look neater haha

Top Bottom