So Proud Of Myself

bigone5500

I have this old 5hp outboard motor that I didn't run for some time. It got to the point that it wouldn't start. I am very bad at working on these things and tried a couple times to work on it with no luck. Then I decided to buy some B1 chemtool carb cleaner in the gallon jug. I disassembled the carb and soaked the body for 15 minutes while I removed the Reed valve assembly and checked it out. Afterwards I rinsed it with water and used some degreaser spray to clean out the small ports and found a gasket which was damaged by the cleaner. I whittled on the gasket and got it in ok condition. It was blocking the fuel intake screen. I reassembled the carb and installed it onto the motor. A couple attempts to start with starting spray and it fired up! Imagine my delight. I dumped the old fuel and started it a couple more times to try and get the remaining fuel out of the bowl. It was a good day.

The motor is a 1975ish sears and roebuck Ted Williams edition 2 cycle air cooled with fuel tank on top. Very light motor. I can hold it with one hand out in front of me. Only thing I don't like about it is when you start it you must be ready to steer it as it is direct drive. To reverse you have to rotate it 180. It's great for my 12' Jon boat. Will push it about 10 mph.

bigone5500

And if I go by myself, I have to put an 80lb bag of sackrete in front or it will stand on end...LOL!

Top Bottom