General Smoke.cartridges on planes legal?

Derek

I'm sure we've all seen at least one video that showed either smoke cartridges or fireworks on rc planes (and heli's). I was looking at them on Hobby Kings website. I also read, somewhere, that the smoke cartridges are not legal in some areas.

Where would I look to see if they are legal in my area? Could I simply contact the AMA and ask them?

It would appear legal by the A.M.A providing it does not leave the aircraft as a projectile, any pyrotechnic device is totally illegal though, a smoke canister that is fixed to an rc aircraft is not classed as pyrotechnic. Fireworks that leave the aircraft would be classed as illegal.

Read this

You can email the a.m.a to verify this.

Last edited:

pvolcko

If model rocket engines are legal then I don't see why these wouldn't be. Actually.... I wonder if anyone ever strapped some model rocket motors to the back of heli to see what would happen?

Derek

I was mostly curious of the legalities because I'm wanting to set a good example for my nephews, who are gaining an interest in bec's. I did look over the AMA Safety Code and it does state that fixed smoke cartridges are quite legal, so I'm happy.

As far as the rocket engines on a heli....yes, its been done. I saw the video a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the video this weekend. If anyone else wants to search it before me, I think it was Rocket-Heli" by Heli Graphic or Heli Graphics. They do some amazing, and sometimes dumb, things. But I do remember seeing helicopter with rocket engines lol.

pvolcko

Heh. Interesting pitching up behavior. Wonder if higher headspeeds, new blade tech and fbl systems of a modern heli would do better. Vid footage is from 2005.

I mounted 2 Estes Rockets (Bullpups, the thick white and black military model) using a bent coat hangar as the launch rail (one under each wing). I put a 9 volt battery on board with a micro switch and a flap servo that would turn to close the switch, thus making the circuit to heat each ignitor for both rockets. The first run they both left the plane at the same time - since I was actually using the motors with the explosive last stage to blow the chute, I just pulled the 7 foot wingspan, powered Lanier glider straight up, then fired them so they wouldn't hit the ground and start a fire. Both rockets flew, popped the chute and floated safely to the ground - success! This was before the days of YouTube, so it is all on VHS tape, but we did it 3 times and it was successful each time. I have a friend who is an actual rocket scientist at NASA here in Huntsville, AL, and he assisted me with the setup - mostly held the wires while I soldered. :)

NOW I know that the AMA frowns on this, so I haven't done it since. We were at a huge coal strip pit so we were in the safest place I could find. I know you're asking for rocket assist but I just thought I'd put in 2 cents here. Besides, they say confession is good for the soul...

I have a Hangar9 P51 kit that flies really well, and oh how I want to mount 3 of the 3 inch long Estes micro rockets under the wings, then surprise some of my flying club buddies as I position the nose behind their planes... oh, well. But I promise each year when I get my AMA license that I won't involve myself in such behavior so I don't do it anymore. But it was FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

RP

Derek

That's a pretty cool story! Sounds like fun!

Although, I was mostly curious about the use of smoke cartridges on my planes and helicopters. Since posting my question, I have found that there is nothing illegal about these cartridges. It won't be this year but I plan on getting some smoke cartridges next year for my models....at least once, lol.

I'm glad you brought this question up - I love smoke on RC planes (helicopters would be cool too but just never seen one with smoke!) and I didn't know they made cartridges you can buy and mount. I may have just found my first item to put on the xmas list!

My wife and I have been married 30 years and she still buys me an RC kit a year for xmas - she likes the hobby and I still feel "like a kid at Christmas!!" :)

I don't want to leave this page, so could you tell me if you've already found this to purchase or do you have a website where I can find them?

Thanks!
Russell

Derek

Here is a video that shows the SAB Heli's and a few of them have smoke. No, I don't have a Goblin, lol, but I think a bit of smoke on my Trex 500 and 600 could be cool as well as my planes. Will I actually do it? I dunno, but I think it would be cool!!!

Here is a video that shows the SAB Heli's and a few of them have smoke. No, I don't have a Goblin, lol, but I think a bit of smoke on my Trex 500 and 600 could be cool as well as my planes. Will I actually do it? I dunno, but I think it would be cool!!!

Where is the vid Derek....

Top Bottom