smattext

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello im a new member looking for lots of information ,I have 4, 450 helis all of wich I cannot fly. I have crashed many,many times and repaired many,many times and spent lots of money! I was thinking of giving up but I have to much money in this and I really,really want to fly. But in this whole process I have found that I really enjoy working on and repairing these darn things! But my ultimate goal is to fly! I have a book that i'm reading right now on taming down the heli so I think I am getting close but reading is not one of my strong points theres a lot I just don't understand so these videos are a life saver for me! So that's my story any help would really be appreciated!

Tony

Staff member
I would highly suggest getting a fixed pitch helicopter like the 120SR. They are much easier to fly and you will not have to learn everything all at once. Practice your orientation first, then once that is mastered, move on to side in, nose in then forward flight. If you click on the Articles tab at the top of the forum, there is a Flight School in there that can help you out.

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome1:

Lee

Welcome to the forum.
1) Do you have a Sim? Get one :) doesn't cost a penny to crash those.
2) Get a micro heli to train on. Nothing beats the real thing. And they are harder to break than a 450.
3) Practice practice practice. Its the only way.
4) have fun :) whether its building, flying or crashing. :D

Derek

Hi there, smat! Welcome to the forum! Yes, crashing is discouraging. True enough! I love to "wrench" on these things, too. It's just fun.

If you can afford to, do what is suggested above by getting a 120SR or something similar. It will help you. Something that has REALLY helped me is an rc flying simulator. Whether it be Real Flight or Phoenix (I have the Phoenix Sim), these tools are very handy.

Good luck buddy and be sure to post any and all questions that you come up with. We'll surely be around to help you out!!!

Welcome,

I started with a 120sr and then a sim... I too am new to flying but I have now been learning to fly a 250 pro dfc.

Hang in there and it will come to you....

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
1) Do you have a Sim? Get one :) doesn't cost a penny to crash those.
2) Get a micro heli to train on. Nothing beats the real thing. And they are harder to break than a 450.
3) Practice practice practice. Its the only way.
4) have fun :) whether its building, flying or crashing. :D
Hi thanks for the info this is what bothers me the most, I have a sim I practice a lot on it and can fly most helis fairly well. But when I try the real thing cant do it ! But I have learned how to tame the settings down and today for the first time I was able to get my heli to hover a little bit not too far off the ground so I guess that's a start!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you everyone! I will start looking at micro helis and keep trying not going to give up! thanks again

Derek

Yeah man..there's no sense in giving up. It sounds like you have a very positive and optimistic attitude about this.....that's awesome! Ya just gotta keep trying. Flying the "real deal" is very similar to the sim but also very very different. It's a work in progress for everyone.

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Smattext, I agree with the others something fixed pitched to get you going, however I had problems with CP 300 size and only really started to learn when I moved up to 450, I used a training hoop which was home made just a kids hoop from a cheap store and some cross members which could be doweling, I have a friend in archery and used some of his old shafts.

Training Hoop1.JPGTraining Hoop2.JPG

The hoops saved my friend and myself countless rebuilds and money the only issue we had was getting up the courage to remove the hoop but when we did we progressed very quickly.

I later found that these hoops are really only suitable for Flybarred Helicopters, the pendulum effect of the extra weight plays havoc with the 3 Axis Gyros.

Training Hoop1.JPG

Training Hoop2.JPG

Graham Lawrie

Nice one Keith good idea:) I had a similar problem with normal training gear, which I stll use after a long lay off flying or if I make any changes. With training gear the 3gx was always compensating and I was having to counteract the effects:)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Welcome to the forum! Don't give up! .....+1 on all the prior comments regarding starting with a fixed pitch heli, such as the 120SR, that is where I started. Also, time on the sticks is vital! I went through a similar thing: fly, quickly crash, spend money, fly, quickly crash, spend money, and on and on.......I wasn't able to keep a bird in the air until I bukcled down and learned the basics. I practiced hovering in all orientations for hours and weeks before I even attempted forward flight. The simulator is great for this kind of practice, practice, practice.......

+1 on the training gear!

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Im not sure if you got my message! but this is an awesome! idea and my brother in in archery so i can get some shafts from him. I think this will really help me thank you!
Scott

Top Bottom