General Slanted main drive?

treff

Is there any benefit in using the slanted main drive in preference to the normal one? Appreciate any answers. Cheers Guys

DAL2855

Banned
If you are running a DFC head, You almost have to have the 121T/12T helical gear set! That's what I'm running on mine. They are way stronger than straight gears, and the helical's give your tail alot more authority! And the higher headspeeds make the bird alot more stable!

treff

Thanks Dal2855 for the reply and info. I'm running a flybared 456 gtpro 2 and have been using slanted main drive but standard tail drive with 12t helical gear on motor but I found the drive was chewing up the main drive
gear. I not sure if I set it to tight but managed to get through 2 main gears before the heli hit the dirt and went to that big heliport in the sky LOL. I have a new kit
coming and just wondered if it was worth installing slanted drive again. Cheers

DAL2855

Banned
With the FB head, really there's no need to run that gear set, but if you have several of the gears, I have quite a few straight gears I'd be willing to swap ya for them! PM me if you have some you'd like to swap! Mine are new, still in the plastic. Don't have a FB head to run them with. So really no need for them!

Slobberdog

Your tail authority is from running higher head speed not the fact the gears are helical, not sure on the ratios but the helical gears are quieter than the straight, the tail drive gear is straight wether you use a helical main gear or not,

DAL2855

Banned
Right! Cause your changing the main gear ratio not the Auto ratio! Yeah they are quite a bit quieter than straight gears too!

treff

Thanks again guys. I will give the slanted another go because I have a few left that have not been chewed up LOL. Cheers

DAL2855

Banned
Watch Tony's video on how to set the proper gear mesh! Helped me greatly on setting the proper gear mesh!

Tony

Staff member
The DFC head and helical gears have nothing to do with each other. The ONLY reason to run a helical gear is if you are putting a lot of torque to the head from teh motor. The pitch of the gears is a bit larger, giving it the ability to handle more power. They are slightly quieter though which is the reason I run them. But with a motor that is pulling 640 watts, I sorta needed them lol.

If you have straight cut gears, run them. As a new pilot, I doubt you will be laying the power to the gear like a smack 3D pilot would. But, if you just want to run them, it won't hurt anything.

Tony

Staff member
Don't get your hopes up, it's not "that" much quieter. Mainly just stronger. I guess it could (I stress COULD) help prevent a stripped gear in the event of a crash.

Top Bottom