Skype not connecting

Derek

This is odd. I was on Skype last night and now it says "Skype can't connect."

I've uninstalled it and redownloaded it and reinstalled it. All that went just fine.

Now, for the 3rd time, it's saying "Skype can't connect."

Any ideas?

Westy

LEGEND
check your firewall settings make sure you ports are open...

START> CONTROL PANEL> WINDOWS FIREWALL

Some firewalls will not permit applications such as Skype to access the internet. If you have a firewall that does this, you will not be able to use Skype until you update your firewall to allow Skype to access the internet.
With most firewalls, this is easy to do. The process is usually as follows:

1. Make sure that Skype is not running.
  2. Open your firewall.
  3. Your firewall maintains a list of applications installed on your computer. In this list, locate the entry for Skype.
  4. Configure the Skype entry to allow it to connect to the internet.
  5. Save your changes.
  6. Restart Skype and sign in.

Last edited:

Derek

Yep...ports are open and Skype is 1 of my allowed programs....ugh

- - - Updated - - -

I am irritated beyond belief!!!

I was flying with John Baloo...just last night...we were talking on Skype...and it was working just fine.

Now...I've got nothing....no Phoenix Sim voice chat...no Skype....WTH????

technology is only great when it WORKS!!!!

I didn't change any settings...nothing. I try to voice chat....nothing. I try to use Skype and it won't connect.

it's probably a good thing that RCH doesn't have a voice chat because my language usage right now is mighty descriptive, lol

Westy

LEGEND
to prove it either way... shut down skype ......

reboot..... make sure SKype is not running .... turn off your Firewall (For this test) and open skype.... if it connects ..... it proves your firewall is doing the blocking. make sure you re enable the firewall after the test ..... ...

If it is the firewall ..... Shut down Skype..... remove the rules on Skype in the firewall and restart SKype ..... your firewall should ask you if you wnat to give it access .... as your access list in the firewall may be corrupt!

Derek

ok. all firewalls turned off..Skype loads right up....immediately...not a bit of hesitation

It was actually my Norton 360 Antivirus firewall that was blocking it. That's incredibly frustrating that I was able to use Skype last night with no issues and then this trouble today.

it is working now....Thank you Westy!!!

oh...all firewalls have been restored and Skype has been given permissions. Hopefully no more issues.

Westy

LEGEND
NORTONS .... SAY NO MORE !!!!! The most pitiful software on the planet! good man ... I know you had it in you :)

Last edited:

Derek

good deal derek glad you got it resolved...

Thanks Kyle! Dude...I can't even begin to tell you how PO'd I was!!! I'm still kinda bitter about the situation because it worked last night and I've not changed any settings or anything and then when I try to use it....a firewall was blocking it. OOOH Boy, was I mad, lol.

but anyway....i'm done crying over that...it's working again and I'm a happy lil fella, once again. I hate drama on my days off, lol.

Thanks for the Skype info and your cell number. I'll be sure to hollar at ya from time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

NORTONS .... SAY NO MORE !!!!! The most pitiful software on the planet! good man ... I know you had it in you :)

That's kinda weird, Westy! You are the first person that I've ever heard say something negative about Norton....really! I've used it for years and I've never had an issue. This "360" version of Norton is new to me so I'm still learning the functions and all. I had to chuckle when I read your post. Everyone has their own opinion and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Westy

LEGEND
heh heh .... . I have spent thousans of hours sorting out norton related issues and its conflicts. Got sick of being a senoir technical/business anylist and pulled the pinon it .... your issue was a simple issue to resolve in the sleep as they say ... had technical issues to resolve with a heck of a lot more technical diagnistics needed to fix in my time in the TElco Data Industry ...... about to see if I can get back into it again.

BOKI

Westy; I had Norton & it actually made problems on my computer ! I have a program called avast Antivirus & it works great! Glad you got it going!Dave

- - - Updated - - -

mountaindewdude76; Derek sure glad you got everything going I know I have had some problems & get's one stressed out! Westy is good at everything! The Best Dave

Westy

LEGEND
Well, I sure do appreciate your help with that issue earlier. Thanks again Westy!!!

No Worries mate anytime

- - - Updated - - -

Westy; I had Norton & it actually made problems on my computer ! I have a program called avast Antivirus & it works great! Glad you got it going!Dave

Yeah Avast is not to bad as it is simply an antivirus application and lets Windows do hte Firewall work on its own .... Nortons tries to take over your system and it uses more resources than the New Zealand Government .... drags your computer speed down and generally craps out of no reason .... I would have thought they should have sorted it out by now ..... but obviously not.

MS has a really good Antivirus phishing software package and it is free for every registered Windows user. MS Security Essentials.

I run that .... use hte Microsoft firewall operating system included and use my Router to do a lot of work that my operating system does not need to be doing

Derek

- - - Updated - - -

mountaindewdude76; Derek sure glad you got everything going I know I have had some problems & get's one stressed out! Westy is good at everything! The Best Dave

hmmm, Westy is good at everything, you say??? Let's test that theory, lol.

Westy....I dont wanna make it too difficult....so.....lets do this.....What color t-shirt am I wearing today?

Derek

well....lets just leave it as you are good with Heli's, Phoenix Sim, and you aren't a fan of Norton, lol.

my shirt is blue.

Tony

Staff member
I use what comes with windows, Security something or other. Never will I use Norton, sparsky or whatever the hell it's called, McCafe or what ever, I will not use any of those bloated programs.

Top Bottom