General Should I get a trex 550?

xokia

I have my eye on a trex 550. I don't know much about them.

I have a 130x,300x,450 and 700. My 700 is to big for the park I fly in and the 450 is well.......a 450 :)

I have the BL mcpx but that was an impulse buy that's probably gonna end up in the for sale section soon. I don't really NEED another heli but I am liking the way the bigger helis fly. Anyone that has one of these can you comment on the pluses minuses?

heli-maniac

I love my T 550 it flies really well
but has to be in a big area to fly it unless your really good im not so good
I like the fact that it only takes one 6S battery and parts are every were sense almost all the 600 pro parts fit it

xokia

I love my T 550 it flies really well
but has to be in a big area to fly it unless your really good im not so good
I like the fact that it only takes one 6S battery and parts are every were sense almost all the 600 pro parts fit it
The one 6S battery is what I was liking about it also. My 700 I can fly in a pretty small area its just that if you do anything like a rainbow poof that thing is gone lol.

flysolo

I just started flying last summer with a 450. Got a 550 super combo for this summer. Really impressed with the kit and the ds615 servos seems to be very durable, I krasch all the time and havn't had to change them yet.

4500mah battery packs with the stock 600mx motor and I get 6+ minutes of flight at 2200 rpm with the esc gov.

- - - Updated - - -

The only real problem is the weight distribution with the big tail boom. If perfect center of gravity is a big concern for you you shouldn't get this kit :)

xokia

Yea I don't know much about it honestly. That's why I'm here asking questions.
So I went ahead and ordered one now I will need to order another HC.

xokia

Yeah it runs on 6 cell batteries, i guess thats the selling point
Oh I see now. So it must come with a different Kv motor from the 600mx motor in the normal 600. Anyway I'm sure ill have fun with it. If not I can always upgrade to a KDE motor

flysolo

Oh I see now. So it must come with a different Kv motor from the 600mx motor in the normal 600. Anyway I'm sure ill have fun with it. If not I can always upgrade to a KDE motor

Exactly, 1220KV motor in this kit. I think they are both called 600MX

callsign4223

Staff member
The smaller blades require less torque to rotate allowing you to run the 6s battery. People originally tried to run the 600 on 6s batteries and they were always bogging down. That's when people started upping it to 8 or 12 cells for the 600 by running a pair of 4 or 6 cell batteries, but that defeated the purpose of running a heli on a single 6s packs. The 550 was how they returned to the "Magical" 6s heli.

Tony

Staff member
the 550 is a great helicopter, but as stated, it's just a shortened 600. The head and tail on my 600 nitro came off a 550, and they are stamped 600 since they are exactly the same. Also as stated, they are able to run on a single 6s pack like the 500's, but the 550's are TRUE 550's were as the 500's swing 425mm blades. It's a good purchase, but I'm thinking you might want to look at the 500's for park flying.

Top Bottom