Shipping batteries via USPS

pvolcko

So I ran into an interesting issue today. On my 550 build thread I mentioned that I had ordered the wrong battery by mistake from HobbyKing. So I went to mail it back today. They're about to weigh it when they ask the normal "anything flammable, liquid, perishiable, etc." type question. I say that there's a lithium polymer battery in there.

"We can't ship that."

I'm kind of amazed both because they are so prevalent in modern electronics and also because HK shipped the thing to me via priority USPS mail, the same as I was trying to ship it back!

The supervisor comes over and says that they can only ship it if it is in it's device. I tell them this is a bare battery pack, it doesn't have a device it is specifically made for and the device I use it in is totally separate from the battery. Kind of like how boats don't come with the portable gas tanks, you need to buy them yourself, separately.

"Sorry, we can't ship batteries outside of their devices anymore. New rule a couple months ago."

I can't make headway so I leave with the intention of later shipping via UPS, figuring I got screwed over because I'm honest.

During lunch I look up the USPS domestic mailing regs. Lo and behold, section 601.10.20.6 covering shipment of rechargeable lithium ion batteries. And what's this, specific regs on what batteries *without* a device can or can't be mailed. Turns out the rules are: 20Wh/cell maximum, 100Wh/battery maximum, 3 batteries/package maximum. Each battery has to be in an original "sealed" package. Each battery separately bundled in the package to prevent shorting. And packed securely enough so that normal rough and tumble does not damage the battery or otherwise expose it.

Printed it all out, did the calcs on the battery I was shipping (3.7v x 5000mAh x 5 cells was under the 100Wh limit), and brought it all back down the the post office. Talked with the supervisor again, he read the info, asked where I got it, and apologized for the mix up and thanked me for the information.

In case you too encounter such an issue at your post office:

Scroll down to .5 and .6 for lithium battery regs.

- - - Updated - - -

Note there are different rules for international mailing (including to AFO, FLO, DPO addresses).

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, because of the instability of the LiPo batteries, they are taking a lot of precautions to keep from blowing things up in the mail truck. Thanks for this information, it will help a lot of people.

Top Bottom