General Share your first "Idle up/Stunt Mode" experience

Derek

Recently a member described his results from flipping the "dreaded" Idle Up switch. He said that he had a great experience.

I'd like to share my first Idle Up experience, lol.

I bought an Eflight Blade SR. I believe its a 200-250 sized CP heli. It was my first CP heli. I still had my training gear on the heli but I was getting better at hovering it around and moving it from side to side, front to back and even flying around a little bit. I decided to remove the training gear and fly around. No problems there....again...just side to side, front to back, and flying around a little bit. Here's an idea....lets try that Idle Up switch!!! Oddly enough, it started to rain a bit so I grabbed my heli and went indoors. I probably should have taken that rain as a subtle hint. I'm sitting in my living room and the wheels in my head start turning. "Hey, I can just hover around in my garage!" Now, keep in mind that I have a single car garage. NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO HOVER AROUND....well, I know that now, lol. I turn on my DX6i, plug in my Blade SR and I'm hovering around a bit. "Hey...let's try that Idle Up switch!" I lower my hover to the ground....brace myself....and flip the switch..............

The heli whirls to life with a caffeine filled vengeance!!! Unfortunately, that lil tail rotor just isn't enough to keep up with the torque from the main blades and the heli SLAMS into my steel tool box, breaking the wooden blades into thousands of tooth picks, and the motor just screams at me with a sharp squeal. I hit the Throttle Hold (as if it mattered now, lol). I unplug the battery from the heli, turn of my DX6i and my head hung low. My wife comes running out the the garage and shouts, with concern "Are you ok?" I looked at her and just started laughing as I picked up my heli that was barely recognizable.

The whole event was funny ONLY after I knew that I was still ok.

The lesson learned here is: don't have your first Idle Up experience in a single car garage.

I no longer have the Blade SR....instead...I have a Trex 500. Yes, that is quite a step-up from the Blade SR. I've had my 500 for nearly 1 year and I still have not flipped that Idle Up switch. Some day!

So...that's my story. It has a funny part. It has a safety lesson. Lesson learned.

And the moral of the story is this: When you are outside flying anything rc and it starts to rain....just go inside and play the Xbox.

Have a great day!!!

Derek

Hey Tony...can we clean this thread up? I was hoping to have shared experiences here.

Tony

Staff member
Done bro, all clean.

Please ONLY post your response to YOUR first idle up experience. No chit chat, or setup questions. ONLY your first time going into idle up. Thanks.

Top Bottom