General Set Zero At Mid Stick, Why?

Alex Evans

A beginner's question...

For someone like me, who NEVER intends to fly inverted or do any stunts, why is it to be set with ZERO at mid stick? I understand the need for it for inverted flying...

But for me?

Cheers

Smoggie

During setup of the FBL it's important to setup with zero at mid stick. However once setup you can use pitch curves to give you anything you want. Many people who fly 'scale' have a pitch curve that gives a few degrees positive at centre stick so the heli hovers at that position. Such a curve might look something like: 36-52-68-84-100

Be careful though. If you use such a curve then you will find yourself often using the full range of collective stock travel, so you cant safely use a 'Normal mode' throttle curve in conjunction with this pitch curve. If you do then when you pull the collective stick fully back (for instance because the heli ballooned up and you need to bring it down), you will stop the motor because throttle goes to zero. Due to the 'soft start' once you kill the motor it takes a good while so power up again, so this is very dangerous.

This is one reason why i always advise not to use 'normal mode' throttle and instead to use 'idle up' throttle curves.

Alex Evans

Yes, I know that during setup I have to have zero at mid stick. I am just saying that the reason for this (it is my opinion only) is becasue of people wanting to be able to fly inverted, I can't see any other reason for this.

If in my Normal mode - I have my thtottle curve as you suggested : 0-65-70-75-80
and my pitch is set to -3,0,8 degrees, then, what is missing here that I need to do it on power idle up 1, what is the difference from NORMAL mode?

Cheers

Admiral

All of the suggestions being put to you follow the conventions that most RC pilots use, I did say most I know some Pro Pilots that never have "0" in any throttle curves so they can't accidentally kill their motor in the middle of a routine, instead they start and stop their motor using the throttle hold. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO YOU as a beginner in-experience will put YOU and your helicopters at risk.

Everybody here is trying to help to get your helicopters in the air safely once you can fly competently and understand the Transmitter settings a bit better, go ahead and change things to suit yourself.

Alex Evans

Yes understand and really appreciate all the help I get in the forum in general and specially from you.

I also understand how impossible it is for experienced pilots to get back to my level of incompetence...

So, will continue as best as I can

Thanks again

Admiral

Sorry if I came across a bit abrupt then, we are all advising you on best practices sometimes we have problems knowing why they are best, it's just that they work.

Alex Evans

No problem, I understand where everybody here is coming from.

My question however still stands : Is it OK to try and learn to HOVER (just that) with my settings or is there really a need for me to setup TU1, TU2 etc...? At presenet, all those other modes are set top straight lines.

Cheers

Admiral

Yes you only need a basic setup to hover, before computer Transmitters you only had one Flight Mode.

Smoggie

Yes, I know that during setup I have to have zero at mid stick. I am just saying that the reason for this (it is my opinion only) is becasue of people wanting to be able to fly inverted, I can't see any other reason for this.
Alex,

No, there is more to it than inverted. It's important that the FBL controller 'knows' where zero collective pitch is. The FBL is designed on the basis that 'centre' on the signal output of the collective channel gives zero pitch, this is 'hard wired' into the programming and cant be changed. Because of this it's important that during setup you set zero pitch to the 'centre' position and during setup you use a symmetrical -100,-50,0,+50,+100 pitch curve in the Tx.
As I mentioned previously, after you have setup the FBL you can use a pitch curve to adjust the collective response to your preference. This includes offsetting the zero pitch point so that the heli hovers with the collective stick in a lower position. This was the purpose of the pitch curve I mentioned previously (36-52-68-84-100). This curve would produce a positive pitch at mid stick and a 'softer' overall collective response

If in my Normal mode - I have my thtottle curve as you suggested : 0-65-70-75-80
and my pitch is set to -3,0,8 degrees, then, what is missing here that I need to do it on power idle up 1, what is the difference from NORMAL mode?

Cheers
I'd recommend setting the FBL up to give at least 10 deg positive. The problem with only having 8 deg positive is that you will find that the collective stick is almost all the way up just to lift off the ground, and you end up flying the heli using only the top 25% of stick travel range. The pitch curve i suggested above will help with this but i'd still recommend at least 10 degrees.

murankar

Staff member
Hitting throttle hold is one of the most important things a new pilot needs to learn. Regardless of throttle curve you need to know when and how to use throttle hold. If you don't then you'll be tearing through gears like mad. A heli crashing while under power is very dangerous not only for the heli but for the pilot and spectators. So yes learn how to use throttle hold. I am sure Smoggie would agree on this.

Smoggie

Hitting throttle hold is one of the most important things a new pilot needs to learn. Regardless of throttle curve you need to know when and how to use throttle hold. If you don't then you'll be tearing through gears like mad. A heli crashing while under power is very dangerous not only for the heli but for the pilot and spectators. So yes learn how to use throttle hold. I am sure Smoggie would agree on this.

^^^ 110% agreed on this.

In fact using 'idle up' throttle curves so you cant cut the throttle with the collective stick, so you are FORCED to use throttle hold every time is one of the advantages of the use of 'Idle-Up'. It gives you no choice but to get into the 'throttle hold habit' and out of the 'pull the stick back' habit.

Alex Evans

^^^ 110% agreed on this.

In fact using 'idle up' throttle curves so you cant cut the throttle with the collective stick, so you are FORCED to use throttle hold every time is one of the advantages of the use of 'Idle-Up'. It gives you no choice but to get into the 'throttle hold habit' and out of the 'pull the stick back' habit.
Good point, will try that
Cheers

Top Bottom