450 Servos HOT, Real HOT!!!

yardner

Just a quick question.
started to use my IU all the time when flying my T Rex 450, DX6i
and i noticed that after my flights 4.5 - 5. min. that my servos are Hot, i mean Real Hot to the touch, i have not noticed this before when i was Not using IU @ 90% strait throttle curve.
is this something to be expected? or is something not right?

cyclic servos are align DS415m's

anyway, what do you think?

Dirk

Hi Yardner.

That is weird. My 450 Pro DFC uses the same servos and they are still cold after 7 and a half minutes of flying. I also use IU now when I fly.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I'd also like to know why it happens.

Lee

I would check for any binding. Maybe at higher rpms the trust bearings are getting gritty. Maybe be strip them and add more grease. Something is putting more load on the servos than normal.

yardner

yeah, thanks Lee
just took off the ELE servo and found it to be a little GRITTY... like you said and put a gear kit in it.

on a different note,,, i find these DS415 servos to be a LOT less forgiving that the OLD DS410's it seams that i can never get them rebuilt to my liking, like i could the OLD 410's. i just give up and order new one's.

but you say, try putting some grease on them? i will give it a try.
and by the way, what type of grease? i've been using some silicone diff lube for my RC buggy days.
should that be OK? or should i try something else?

- - - Updated - - -

What's the voltage going to the servos? Do you have a way to check it with a multimeter?

i have'nt a clue.... and no i dont think so.. how would one check them with a multimeter?

xokia

i have'nt a clue.... and no i dont think so.. how would one check them with a multimeter?
I kinda figured you might not know that's why I asked if you could measure with a multimeter.

If you have a multimeter you plug the black MM wire into the top of the black servo wire. Red MM wire into the top of the red servo wire. If you have binding issues which is possible it would kinda surprise me it would be on all 3. But that's just my guess.

If you run to much voltage or two low a voltage it can also heat up servos. Maybe you have a BEC that is going bad. That's the other reason I suggested measuring the voltage.

Lee

I was talking about binding in the head, not the servos. But if you found that one servo is a bit gritty thats good you found it. As for the grease. The standard grease in White Lithium. You can put that on the servo gears and in the thrust bearings in the head too.

RandyDSok

Your local sporting goods store should have some good fishing reel greese available... I usually use ABU GARCIA REEL LUBE

xokia

hey Xokia... i've got this, will it work?
Yes that will work. I will add the caviet that you need to be careful you dont let +/- touch. You dont want to burn out your BEC or FBL controller.
You can poke the wires into the top of the servo connector. Do you know how to use that DMM?

yardner

lee
yes,the thrush bearings in the head are smooth as silk and working fine
and i will look for some white lithium

thanks

pvolcko

You don't have any bad vibes in the heli? Not wobbling or anything? If it is that could be putting extra strain on the servos since the gyro will be making constant adjustments and it will always be fighting itself.

And no one asked, so I will, what kind of flying are you doing? More aggressive flight will obviously lead to higher servo temps. Flying in a lot of wind, again causing gyro to hold attitude against a constant wind force?

yardner

Yes that will work. I will add the caviet that you need to be careful you dont let +/- touch. You dont want to burn out your BEC or FBL controller.
You can poke the wires into the top of the servo connector. Do you know how to use that DMM?

yes Xokia, i know the basics but would i set it on its lowest voltage, which would be 2 V or move it up to 20V?
when i hook it up, what do i look for ? do i power it up and just move the cyclic around and see what the voltage reads?
help me out, what voltage am i looking for ( range) that i should be getting?

thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have any bad vibes in the heli? Not wobbling or anything? If it is that could be putting extra strain on the servos since the gyro will be making constant adjustments and it will always be fighting itself.

And no one asked, so I will, what kind of flying are you doing? More aggressive flight will obviously lead to higher servo temps. Flying in a lot of wind, again causing gyro to hold attitude against a constant wind force?

pvolcko, no bad vibes but now that you mention it, i might have and unexplained wobble, but was thinking it is being caused by servos.

weather, yes some winds 5-10 mph.

flying style, just easy flying for me, no major 3d....

xokia

yes Xokia, i know the basics but would i set it on its lowest voltage, which would be 2 V or move it up to 20V?
when i hook it up, what do i look for ? do i power it up and just move the cyclic around and see what the voltage reads?
help me out, what voltage am i looking for ( range) that i should be getting?

The voltage range on the DMM is the maximum so if you set it to 2V you could only measure < 2V.
Your servos will likely be in the 5V range so you will want to move the selector to 20V which allows you to measure <20V

Just plug the battery in and measure at the servo connector that should be good enough.

yardner

The voltage range on the DMM is the maximum so if you set it to 2V you could only measure < 2V.
Your servos will likely be in the 5V range so you will want to move the selector to 20V which allows you to measure <20V

Just plug the battery in and measure at the servo connector that should be good enough.

OK Cool, i'll check it out. thanks :)

yardner

Your local sporting goods store should have some good fishing reel greese available... I usually use ABU GARCIA REEL LUBE

WoooHoooo !!! Honey i've got to go up to Cabelas or Bass Pro, but i can't say why or for what:black_eyed:

thanks for a good excuse, RD ......

pvolcko

Is this FBL? You didn't make any FBL settings changes lately, have you? Maybe you accidentally bumped the frequency up too high for the cyclic servos?

yardner

also check if they are aligned well with the frame.. :)

just got it back together and ran a couple of batteries though it.
i think i've got everything lined up correct.
but after this last flight its definately the ELE servo that's getting HOT. the Pit/Ail are warm but not HOT.

now i'm thinking that its the ELE servo problem. got a new one coming sometime today, so i'm planning on replacing it and seeing what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this FBL? You didn't make any FBL settings changes lately, have you? Maybe you accidentally bumped the frequency up too high for the cyclic servos?

yes its a FBL, 3GX
so yes thats a good question but its set up correctly. Green lights are on.

Top Bottom