Servos Servo Size I Should Use !!!

Skyking

I'm about to start building my Optimist EA Glider.
It's got a 4 m wingspan and is 1.74 M long with a weight of 3.3 kg. It has Schempp-Hirth types, Air brakes and the usual (elevator, rudder, ailerons ( 650mm long)
It seems to me that although this is a rather large glider it is relatively light, hence my question.
What are your recomendations for Hi tec Servos.

Looking for ideas

John

Tony

Staff member
Hey John, I tried doing a search for that plane and all I found was some kind of skateboard. Can you post a link?

Tony

Staff member
Hm, I can't seem to find any information on the servos in that plane. What I would suggest is measuring the opening for the servos and try to match them with ones that you can get your hands on. There are micro servos (9g), otherwise what is run in 450 or smaller helicopters and what I use in all of my planes, there are the Mini servos (26g or so) that are run in something like the 500 size helicopters, then there are the standard size servos which you would run in anything larger than a 500, like a 550, 600 and so on.

What you need to do is match the size. Now, if you find a servo that is only a mm or two larger than the hole, you can always make the hold slightly larger to make them fit, I had to do this for my 50" Edge 540.

But that is where I would start.

Skyking

Thanks Tony,

My point is not a matter of size, but a question of safety and power. I don't want to loose a glider which represents 400 to 500 hours of work at least, by using understrength servos, obviously wings space will determine the servos, but the rest is left to our decision.

Cheers

John

RandyDSok

John,

Tony is correct in that the place to start, when the plans don't specify a recommended size servo... is from the dimensions of the available space that is provided for the servos. Being a 4m wingspan ( ie close to 13 feet )... I'd suspect you have a lot of room and it's probably going to use the standard size servo instead of the smaller ones like what Tony and I will likely be using on our size of models... but that is just a guess.

One of the spec's that I hate seeing mentioned though is only specifying the weight of a servo which tells you little about it's performance specs... I'm not saying weight isn't important, it is especially on the smaller size models... just that it doesn't tell you anything useful like physical size, torque, speed, bearing type, gear type etc.

So just generically speaking....

Once you know what size the model will accept... Next you will need to figure out how much torque it will require so you can select a proper one from those available. The weight of the model will help in determining the torque but probably not as much as you may think... the location of say the ailerons will also determine how much torque they will likely need... A model with ailerons towards the outer tips of the wings will generally require a little less torque than those towards the center of the wing because the ailerons will have more leverage out on the end of the wing. On the elevator... the length of the model from the CoG to the end where the elevator will again determine how much leverage it has/needs... a short coupled fuse will require a little more than a longer airframe.

The types of aerobatics you plan to fly the model will also determine how much torque you will need... higher aerobatic maneuvers will need more torque than slow gentle flights. A glider isn't normally known for higher aerobatics but you will still need enough torque to get you through loops and perhaps even rolls.

Gliders and sailplanes aren't nearly as popular as many of their powered brethren... so finding specific or exact info is going to be a bit more difficult since talk about them on forums will also be more limited. Where I would start... is by looking up information for gliders that are of a similar size... weight is less important because it is more about the leverage it has and torque a control surface will require but should also be considered since it is a factor. When you have located a popular glider with similar specs... look up the manufacturer's website to see if you can find out how strong of a servo they are recommending... at this point you aren't looking for size info but how much torque the servos they recommend require... then take that info and find something similar or stronger in the size servo your model will accept.

When I'm selecting a servo I try to pick one that I will be able to use in other models also. So most of the time, I look for one that is of the size I need and with the most strength and speed I can get in that size. I always try to get one with ball bearings since they will live longer and won't develop slop in them as quickly as the non-BB types. I also look for metal gear types since they won't strip as quickly. Using that method means that I will likely spend more than what the recommended equipment would cost... but I can then also use them later on other airframes and not have to replace them as quickly as I would if I selected plastic case bearings and nylon gears. I still have to take into account the model... for instance a smaller foamy won't always fly as well if I select a heavier servo like those I just mentioned that I prefer.... so you do have to take into account weight in some instances.

The following links are just general info you might find handy...

http://www.bpesolutions.com/productimages/mec.parts/mch2.html

Servo Database - RC Servo Specs and Reviews

Hitec Servo Chart

Skyking

Thanks a lot RDSOK

Your outline made it clear. It's a freference that I'll print and keep in mind.

As a rule I don't skimp on servos, I'd rather over spec than underspec. When we consider the total cost in time and effort that a build represents, it's a small investment. So I'd rather err in over than underspecking.

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Cheerio

John

Top Bottom