Power Supply's server power supply conversion

murankar

Staff member
Hands down the pl8 is a better charger. Add the bump controller and you have a very powerful setup. I have the pl6 and it is a great piece of kit. I also run the bump controller with it. At this point I would not trade in my setup for anything except a dual pl8.

Smoggie

They are both very good chargers. The Powerlab range have a very strong and loyal following but bang for buck the Hyperion looks like it delivers.

Personally I'm an iCharger man. If you have the budget for the Powerlab then for just a very small amount more you could have an iCharger 406 Duo which brings the greatly increased flexibility of dual channels, plus a lot more charge power and built in colour display: Junsi iCharger 406DUO Lilo/LiPo/Life/NiMH/NiCD DC Battery Charger (6S/40A/1400W) [JUN-406DUO] | Cars & Trucks

Tony

Staff member
Those or the iChargers are are also good. I'm running the iCharger 306b and love it.

murankar

Staff member
I love the rf tag functionality on the bump controller. Only if I had the rf tag reader for the vcontrol.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I posted that reply before seeing there was a second page. The PL is the charger I actually want because of the bump controller. Very simple to use and the only thing that needs to be on the outside of the case most of the time is just the bump controller, which is a touch screen. How awesome is that lol.

Smoggie

I guess it depends on what features you are looking for, and brand loyalty often plays a part. The RF tag reader is an interesting novelty but for me there are more important features to look for in a charger. I'm not one to be much interested in compiling reams of data on my battery usage and because I parallel charge several batteries I dont think it can be of any use in setting an automatic charge rate (it's only two button presses to do that manually anyway!). Is there some benefit of the bump controller I'm missing?
At $145 plus shipping it also makes what is already a pretty expensive charger VERY expensive. I do get how nice it would work in a portable charger case but I dont use one of those, mine is a bench setup.

Personally if I had the budget for a PL8 and a Bump controller I'd buy neither. I'd get the iCharger 4010 Duo and keep the change for more batteries. For my purposes dual channels and double the charge power is worth more than RF tag reading and touch screen (not to mention cross channel resistive discharging at up to 1000W which only the iCharger Duo supports), but each to their own.

murankar

Staff member
It's one of those you don't know what you don't know. I para charge all my packs and it tracks each pack. It's more than just bump and a button push.

The controller allows one to program each pack to charge. It takes a bunch of guess work out of charging especially while para charging.

Then there is the fact that the vcontrol, should one decide to use this radio, is capable of reading the rc tags. So now you can track battery degradation and a shload of other data. If you not interested in the data then I guess it would be a novelty.

I know your going to have some thing negative to say about it so at this point it's moot I guess.

Smoggie

Sorry, i wasn't trying to be negative, it looks like a very clever piece of kit. End of the day choice is good and we all look for different things. It would be a boring world if we all picked the same stuff.

murankar

Staff member
So with a 12 volt power source and the charger set to 144 watts you should net about 12 amps out.

Next we take into consideration how many volts your packs are and watts your pumping out.

So at 144w with 1 6s pack your Max amps will be around 6.4 amps. 2 6s packs will Max out at about 3.2 amps. That's if I did my math right.

Your 1c charge rate is 5 amps on a 5000 mah pack.

Kevin W. Ray

Just ordered my I Charger 4010 duo. Any input on a gas generator to take to the flying field? Best bang for the buck?

Thank You,
Kevin W. Ray

Eggy 71

Just ordered my I Charger 4010 duo. Any input on a gas generator to take to the flying field? Best bang for the buck?

Thank You,
Kevin W. Ray
Remember you need an input of under 50v for that charger. Most gas generators will be 120v. That won't help.

Tony

Staff member
Where exactly is this thread going? It started out asking about server power supplies and now we are talking about generators. Are we looking for a generator that will run the server PSU's that run the charger? If so, it would be MUCH easier to just run the charger off of the battery of the car you are going to drive to the field. Trust me, a LOT easier. I have a generator and I have never once though about dragging my 150lb generator to the field just to charge a couple packs.

Kevin W. Ray

Where exactly is this thread going? It started out asking about server power supplies and now we are talking about generators. Are we looking for a generator that will run the server PSU's that run the charger? If so, it would be MUCH easier to just run the charger off of the battery of the car you are going to drive to the field. Trust me, a LOT easier. I have a generator and I have never once though about dragging my 150lb generator to the field just to charge a couple packs.

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

Kevin W. Ray

Thanks for all the input all I can say is WOW!!! Awesome combination and I am only on discharge so far! Will let you know how the charge goes.

Tony

Staff member
It's all good. That is one hell of a setup right there! two in series x2 and then parallel those. 2000w and 24 volts. Lots of power right there.

Top Bottom