700 sensor

185cm

Hi guys i was wondering if i would need a sensor with my esc castle 120 HV and my ikon? i am down too the electronics and am not sure about this. I am about ready for programing and i know i will need help with this.

Thanks 185cm

Tony

Staff member
What sensor are you referring to? The 3 wires from the ESC, if you have a built in BEC, will plug directly into the throttle port of the Ikon. MAKE SURE OF POLARITY!!! You don't want to reverse it, and do NOT plug it into the far terminal on the ikon (left side when facing the pins with label up). If you do, I hear you will destroy that gyro.

185cm

The ikon has a channel 1 for throttle so the wire will plug into that from the esc and not the receiver ? I am using a futaba receiver with s-bus

Tony

Staff member
Ah, I don't know anything about Futaba S-Bus setup. Hopefully someone will know on this.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Y'all aeem to be talking about two issues ::

--how to hook up esc signal wire and where--- answer is ikon

/---where do hook up the rpm sense I right? I wouldn't think Phoenix ice esc's came with any sensor wires. Just use any DIGITALinput for throttle sensor channel.

murankar

Staff member
I think some do. I am looking at the Phoenix 50 amp light and it said that it has a sensor wire (white wire). I could be wrong too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

The new Phoenix Edge ESCs (lite, normal, and HV) from Castle Creations do have the additional signal output that can be configured for RPM sensor output. The ICE and ICE2 models do not.

This is only relevant if you intend to use the Ikon integrated governor instead of the ESC's governor.

If there is another sensor being referred to by the original poster, will need to know exactly what he's referring to.

The ikon software pretty clearly depicts the connection you'll need to make for use with a futaba s-bus reciever. From the looks of it there is a single connection from the sbus Rx into the ikon, then you run the output channels to the servos. The throttle channel output will have the ESC's throttle cable plugged into it. Since you are using a 120HV you will not need to lift the positive (red) pin from that connection. Last connection will be from your power source, from a separate BEC (since 120HV has no built in BEC) or a 2S lipo/life pack if you opt to go that way.

murankar

Staff member
You can if you want to, Its a preference thing. Some folks like using an external bec and others like to use a 2s receiver pack. I also would look into the scorpion backup guard, for $24 you get a piece of mind. I know it works what I don't know is how to tell when it switches over.

pvolcko

I personally have always run a BEC (either in the ESC or a separate one, usually a CC BEC Pro) powered off the main battery pack(s). I know others that swear by using a separate Rx pack either direct (for high voltage setups) or through a BEC (also for high voltage or low, depending on settings).

It is a personal preference thing with some flight safety implications. Generally a separate Rx pack is considered safer since the main battery and rotor can lose power entirely and you will still, theoretically, have power to the Rx, servos, FBL unit, etc. so you can auto-rotate it onto terra firma. However, you need to remember to charge the Rx pack every two or three flights.

A lot of resistance to using a BEC off the mains has to do with people having some bad experiences with BECs failing in flight, particularly on high current draw servo setups. Some of the early adopters and early BECs also sucked. Today's models from Western Digital and Castle Creations are pretty bullet proof in my opinion. It is definitely not a part I would cheap out on. There are still cut rate, crap BECs out there.

- - - Updated - - -

You can if you want to, Its a preference thing. Some folks like using an external bec and others like to use a 2s receiver pack. I also would look into the scorpion backup guard, for $24 you get a piece of mind. I know it works what I don't know is how to tell when it switches over.

The only downside to the backup guard is, like a Rx pack, you need to remember to charge it up. In general you shouldn't need to charge it often since it will sit unused and at charge. None the less, it is another thing to have to check pre-flight. They can be useful, but imo, if it doesn't charge off the main pack or Rx pack automatically, it is "solving" a problem by introducing the same problem (remembering to charge it).

Actually, another downside, you have to plug it in. You can't very well leave it connected to the FBL/Rx since it will power it whenever the Rx pack or main power is pulled. So it's another connection to have to make that is in parallel with the Rx pack or BEC output. Maybe a small thing, but another pre-flight thing to remember.

I also agree, they should add a light or chirper to it to indicate it was activated in flight.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Ok I read the manual on Scorpionmotors.com. I cant link the exact page due to their site setup so just look under accessories for details, it is used in conjuction with a BEC. In a nut shell this is how it works plug in all cables, plug backup guard into extra rx port. Power up heli, turn on back up guard. To shut down power off backup guard then unplug battery. When ever the flight pack drops below 5v the back up guard will kick in and keep the voltage at 5 volts.

This is a 2s lipo battery used as a UPS.

pvolcko

right. I didn't realize there was a power switch on the backup guard, so at least you don't need to keep plugging/unplugging it for flights.

Top Bottom