500 second thoughts

danhampson

Ive got some money being payed to me and have enough to get a 500 and charger ands packs. Ive looked at the trex 500e and the protos and had decided that its going to be the protos and upgrade the head to fbl and put ikon/brain on it (at a later date) im now having second thoughts. Is the protos going to be too much to handle? Parts arent an issue i have 2 stores in the uk with stock.

Lee

I haven't flown a Protos, but i can't see why it would be harder to fly than the 500.

danhampson

I know i can turn the settings down. I think what it is, is that every time i watch a protos vid people arent just hovering and doing orienation there going full pelt across some field.
I can do that with my 450 (but i cant hover right side in)

From what i have read they are a beautful machine and im looking to the future. It could be the last chance i get to have a machine like this

Westy

LEGEND
Protos are a nice heli .... setting it up right ... is the first hurdle ..... if you want to reduce the chance of damage ... go FBL and IKON and you can set up the auto correction feature and grow into your heli ... as you get better ... you relax that auto correction to a point where you no longer need it!

Lee and others have the IKON .... and they Rave about it .... I am going to get one as I am now getting heavily into 3d flying .... the Bail out feature is going to save my bacon! IKONs RULE!

Honestly .... you will thank yourself for listening as the first bail out or auto correction the IKON will do for you ... .will save you more than the added cost of the FBL and IKON .... in repair build money and time to rebuild!

The most frustrating part that I and others have experienced is that you seem to be spending more hours working on them than flying them.... then you cross the threshold and it is the other way around . IF IKON FBL controller had been around when I started .... I honestly think I would be strides ahead of where I am.

Hope that all makes sense!

- - - Updated - - -

I can do that with my 450 (but i cant hover right side in)

ARe you talking of nose Right? if so....... try this.....

If you can fly Tail in ... you can do nose right!!!!

1. PLace the heli on your right side tail in ..... about 6 feet in front of you....

2. Fly it tail in ...... then turn it nose right (rudder to 3 o'clock then neutral again) then turn yourself to your right (move your feet too) .... you are now tail in .... slowly turn your body back to where you started ... and if you freak out .... turn back toward the heli (3' oclock again) to get it at tail in again ....

with practice you will get comfortable with it .....

if you prefer the heli nose in ... then do it the other way with your heil on your left ... and face it so it is nose in....

hope it helps. Cheers

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
How they fly will be pretty much the same. They both have the same size blades, same size motor and battery, and both fly like the 450 but a little more stable. it just 'farts' a little louder in the air lol.

If you are wanting to be different than everyone else, get the Protos, you will like it. you have already stated that you have parts around you so you can fix it when you crash it, that is the most important thing!

danhampson

Thanks guys.
I will try that westy it makes sense. I hadnt thought about turning my body to make tail in, side in.
Yes Tony i am looking for something different.
Ive got a spartan quark gyro sat in my tool box so i will give it try with that for a month until i can get the FBL head and ikon.

Derek

I have the Align Trex 500 and, what little I have flown it, I do like it very much. I have flown a Protos 500 and it was a bit different....BUT....the differences surely came from the fact that I was flying my friends Protos 500 with my friends DX8...using my friends settings. His settings are much more different that mine but that is surely because he is much more advanced than I am.

If you are thinking about going with the Protos 500...I say go for the Protos 500. You have expressed an interest in that heli and you have said that you have two hobby shops that you can get parts from.

I did check on something that is different between the two heli's....the Protos 500 is a bit lighter than the Trex 500.

murankar

Staff member
I'll tell ya I got the mini and for a 450 it takes a heck of a beating by me. My main shaft and feathering shafts are more beefy than a trex 450.

I would be willing to bet the same holds true fro the Protos. Main shaft and feathering shaft also being bigger than a trex 500.

Handling will boil down to tx/rx, servos and how you power the servos. Mks servos will give better handling than align/savox servos.

If you want a high quality bird that will perform then get the Protos you won't be disappointed.

danhampson

Im on a bit of a budget to start with and they will do me a deal on the align servos. But i can always upgrade them at a later date. Ill have a look at the mks servos and see if i can afford them this time round.

danhampson

Going to have a sit down later and have a look at the different servo setups.
It is the carbon kit im going to get just so that i can stretch it in the future, some things ive read say that the stretch kit makes it a 550 but the kit has 470 blades

murankar

Staff member
I don't know any of the sizes for the 500 but the 450 would run ds95 x3 and the ds95i for the tail. With the tail being a 26g ish size it might work of the cyclics of a 500. I cant afford to buy MKS servos at the moment but when I do have the money I am getting a complete set for my protos.

danhampson

Ive had a look through the setups on the page lee posted above. And at the moment there are 2 types of servo that come in budget. There the align setup (3x ds515 and a ds 625) or a hyperion setup (3x dh16-scd and a dh16-gcd).
The hyperions are high voltage servos would they need anything extra to use them.
For the first month i would be using a spektrum rx and flybar setup then the month after that a fbl and ikon.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to put would be using stock esc and motor

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
PROTOS! I have the 500 stretched and it runs smooth. I have never tried the Trex 500 but I am sure they are great. I am running DS510 ona cyclical and a Savox SH 1290MG on tail, MSH60 ESC and IKON. It's all in your settings and what you want to do in the air. Good luck on your decision..

Graham Lawrie

I am the same as Anthony, i have the savox SH1290MG on my 600 tail and it is sweet. It oozes quality:) It is hard being restricted by a budget in this hobby with so many options to choose from:( I am new to this so have only bought and flown Trex. I would love to try others, Proto Goblin Warp etc etc. Its all down to what you can afford and what works best for you:)

Top Bottom