Spektrum Scratched Tx Screen

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I managed to scratch the screen on my DX7s with the snap on the neck strap. Any suggestions on polishing out light surface scratches?

3M make a plastic polish but I was wondering what, if anything, you guys have done and/or used....

I am Now searching the house for the extra screen protectors that came with my iPhone!

pvolcko

I have a few scratches but haven't tried filling/repairing yet. Maybe that stuff they sell for fixing hazing on headlights.

murankar

Staff member
I think I have read somewhere that toothpaste works too. Sounds sketchy but might work. Research that first I don't want to be to cause of your radio being unreadable.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I think I have read somewhere that toothpaste works too. Sounds sketchy but might work. Research that first I don't want to be to cause of your radio being unreadable.

You're the second person that has told me toothpaste might work. I haven't been able to find it anywhere online or confirm with anyone though, I will let you know if I find anything out.

I have a few scratches but haven't tried filling/repairing yet. Maybe that stuff they sell for fixing hazing on headlights.

t seems I read that same thing in a forum post on helifreak..............I'm going to the autoparts store tomorrow and will ask them what they think.

It's a soft plastic so I'm sure it will take a delicate touch.

pvolcko

THe same thing happens to the plastic screens and facias on car stereos. It is difficult to fix. Best you can do is probably fill in the scratches and get a protective layer on top.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not like with clear coat on paint where you can polish off the hard edges and even level off the layer to eliminate the scratches. Different material and optical situation.

Lee

I watched my friend repair his weighing scales in his shop with acrylic clear lacquer.
His scales were so caked in resins from his fibreglass work, the screen was unreadable.
He actually sanded the screen with an electric sander!!!! You could not see the number at all.
A quick spray with the lacquer, and it was like looking at a new screen. I was very impressed.
I tried it on my DX8 but it started to bubble, then i realised i still had the original screen protector on it LOL
Peeled it off and my screen was perfect again, of course :D LOL

Tony

Staff member
Don't use toothpaste, they are made to clean the enamel on your teeth which is 100x harder than plastic. You want to use a good plastic scratch repair kit. 3M makes a good one, in fact they make a few good ones. I have some plastic polish here, but I think the 3M would be a little better. It's going to take some elbow grease, but you can get them out.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Haha…love those quick fixes! :smile:

Unfortunately, to my demise, I removed the original screen protector after purchase! You learn something new everyday!!!

Tony

Staff member
Yup, my DX6i had the protector on it until I painted the case and my DX8 still has the protector on it.

Top Bottom