Projects Scratch built Corsair "style" foamboard plane

Gerald

I really wanted a Corsair warbird. So I built one from scratch, no plans just used pictures. I started with a archery arrow as the back bone. The motor is a hk donkey ST3508-730kv with a 12x6 prop. 40 amp esc. 39" fuse length, 52" wing span. I made the formers egg shape and the front cowling 2 1/2" diameter. Then I peeled the paper off on side of the DTFB and wrapped it around the formers. Made it really strong! I wanted to find a way to color it besides packing tape and I know about the minwax method but it seemed like a extra step, so I went to the hardware store and found Krylon Fussion fast drying for plastic. I gave it a shot, works very well, dries fast less than 15 min. actually on the day I painted the light coats dried in 5 min, painted the whole thing in 20 min. So here are some pictures and I have a maiden flight video.

View attachment 12285
View attachment 12286
View attachment 12287
View attachment 12288
View attachment 12289
View attachment 12290
View attachment 12291

Here is the maiden flight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerald

Thanks Tony and Wolfman! I just got back from flying it tonight again. It is so smooth and slow, My style really :) ! Also had the "DB1" up ( Dereks Bipe) it was great!

Gerald

Thanks Derek and Eyestation!

I forgot to mention the wing is a KFM3 with a 8 1/2" chord.
It took me 3 months to build it from design concept to finish product of course I only worked on it for a hour or so here and there. I guess real time would be like 15 to 20 hours, A labor of love!

Top Bottom