General SC 52 Nitro

Lillyryan

Hi all. I put an sc engine on my acro wot and I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. Get it tuned up lovely then five minutes later it starts to four stroke on idle and when you open her up she just cuts out. Any ideas?
Thanks

If it won't fly put a bigger engine on it!!!

Tony

Staff member
Can you tell us what you mean by "four stroke"? Do you mean you think it's missing?

If the idle is too low, you can try to adjust the idle screw (should be on the front of the carb) an hour and try it again. Remember, open the throttle a little so you are not pushing against the bore.

You can also try leaning out the bottom end a little bit. before I explain, this can throw off your tune. The low end needle is in the middle of your linkage on the carb. You will see a little flat blade screw. CW leans, CCW richen's it up.

Make sure your clutches are not dragging. If you are running a spring on your clutches, make sure it's not broke, or "they" are not broke if you have a spring per clutch.

If none of this works, you may try putting on a heavy weight flywheel. This will make it idle a lot better.

Lillyryan

hi yes it just sounds lumpy at low stick. burbles more like a four stroke. i have noticed the low needle seems quite slack so i will strip carb and investigate. not that i should have to on a recently new engine.

Tony

Staff member
Went ahead and moved this into the Airplane section. Maybe some others can learn from this thread. Let me know what conclusions you come up with after tearing the carb down.

Lillyryan

Hi sorry didnt realise i put the post in the wrong section. Took the carb off and stripped the jets out. Two things i noticed were that the low needle was very slack so when i replaced it i used a little thread seal aswell. The second thing was upon really close inspection was that the main needle's o ring was very slightly flat in one area (must have been like this from new).
I replaced the o ring and put the carb back in using a little gasket sealer around the mounting flange. The low needle was now much stiffer to turn eliminating it moving whilst under vibration. Anyway after firing her up and a few minor tweeks she is running lovely with a sweet idle and an instant acceleration. Gave her a few flights and it is performing great.

Tony

Staff member
Nice! Glad you got it all sorted out. Now... Yeah, you know where this is going... We must have video!!!! :biggrin1:

:voidh: :chuckles:

Top Bottom