Batteries s count on battery

grumpy1

Im confused....nothing new tho ....heres the deal I got an eflite 46 motor on the spec sheet it says 4-5 cell lipo but if you read farther in the spec sheet in the recomrnded battery size they recomemd several thunder power batteries...they are thp4200mah2s2ppl
thp4200mah3s2ppl
thp5300mah5s2ppl
thp6000mah4s3ppl
My question is they say 4-5s lipos on one page on the back of the same page they recomemding some 2 an 3 cell lipos as some battery choises..bottom line can I use my existing 50003s1p batteries...my esc says 3-6s

murankar

Staff member
In simple terms the S count is the cell count. So a 2S pack is a 2 cell pack, a 3S pack is a 3 cell pack, a 4S pack is a 4 cell pack. Not sure what the ppl part is but I want to say its the amount of batteries in parallel. BTW you don't have to use Thunder power packs. I think Eflight had a deal with thunder power and thats why they suggest that brand.

grumpy1

You are correcet on 2 in parallel...my question is specs on motor say 4-6 cell an they have suggested that a 2 cell would work ....so i guess it work with my 3s then...is that right

murankar

Staff member
Oh that's because you can run lower voltages on the motor. You won't get the full potential from the motor but it will run. Now keep in mind the lower the voltage the high the amps will be.

Lee

It may mean that you can run two of the 2S packs in series, to give you 4S power.
Or two of the 3S to give you 6S.

grumpy1

I know about s count...so letme see if i got the voltage right ....for example some equipment in my shop can be wired 120/ 240 lower voltage higher amp draw ...but there its a constant power supply.....so the mah is the power supply so higher voltage then motor runs with less amp draw on power supply...does this also apply to servos...more speed ..more torque...more efficient...or does the esc control max voltage applied to servos...now what about the c number 20..30..how does that play into the equation....I'm a mechinical guy...hard for me to get this ol hard head wrapped around something I cant chuck up in the lathe ...put on the milling machine.....put on welding table...really appreciate all the help an input from yall

murankar

Staff member
Yes for the most part. With battery voltage and motors yes lower voltage higher amps and less revolutions per minute. Higher voltage less amp draw and higher revolutions per minute. The KV value is rotations per volt. So higher voltage can be better in most cases because you are dropping amps.

As for servos higher voltages can result in faster speeds per 60 degrees and more torque. Just make sure your servos are rated for higher voltages. Lower end servos will not go much beyond 5v. Now this is not always the case but a good rule of thumb when glancing at new servos. If your looking at the popular T-Pro 9 gram servos are not rated for high voltages but the KST DS215mg (another budget servo) can handle something near 6v or 7 volts. Again the higher voltage will net you faster travel and greater torque. This will be based on what your BEC can output. There is a lot of stuff to look at if you go with higher voltages. Things to consider is your RX, FBL unit and any other Electronics that might be on your kit.

As for C rating; if your just starting out then 30c is about all you will need. Now there is some things you need to know about C ratings. This has been discussed many times on RCHN when the owner of Progressive rc is on the show. As of right now the consensus is that C-rating is a sales gimmick. From what I have heard from reading and listening to RCHN is that the only 2 packs that are anywhere close to the printed c rating is SPider from Progressive rc and Opti power. Now these are spendy packs. PulseUltra packs are off but not really enough for an average rc-er will see. Now if your really shreading then you could see the difference. GensAce I think has declined in quality of the last few years so I would be skeptical on those. HK packs well they are no where near the stated c rating. Do they work; well yes they do just that there is no saying how long they will last. So if your looking for a pack the 30c range is where you should be looking, most pilots don't need more than that. Higher C rating usaully means more weight also.

Last edited:

Admiral

. As of right now the consensus is that C-rating is a sales gimmick.

Three months ago I totally agreed with this statement, until I purchased a couple of Turnigy Heavy Duty 2200mAh 60C, head speed increased flight times actually decreased from 7 Minute to 6 Minutes but power is off the scale I can not bog them down.

They are 60gm heavier than the 25C but that is not noticeable, I will be very interested to see how long they last compared to the lower C rating batteries, I am monitoring them closely never running them under 20% and slow charging them.

At the same time I purchased one Nano-tech 40C which I am treating the same, previously I have not been happy with Nano-Tech they are great when new but go down hill fast from there.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
If I were a betting man I would guess those packs are around 35C actual. I am telling don't get wrapped up in the c rating all that much. Regardless of what you are witnessing you need to do ir readings and do the math to see what actual is. Personally I am not a fan of hobby king batteries. I bought one and it had a great life for almost 4 years. Then again it was a tx life po pack so it did not see the stresses of a flight pack.

Admiral

You may well be right Murankar, all I know is at the moment they are out performing the lower C rating batteries that I was using, if they are still good in twelve months I may buy more, if they aren't I'll try something different.

grumpy1

Thanks for the battery info an education....ok heres the next issue...just about on every esc somewhere you gonna see the phrase "with adequate cooling or proper air flow" define that ..ok ...heres what I got a tiger 2 size 40 ..61" ws..originally a nitro kit..imade the converson over to eletric eflite 46 motor.. eflite 60 amp esc turnigy 5000mah4s1p25 battery ..now I've fabricated a cowling to cover motor ...with that said i made some loovers one on each side of fuse in front of firewall faceing forward to provide some cooling for motor 1.125 sq inch loovered openings oneach side with a total of 2.25 sq inch air intake area....now the esc is mounted via a fabricated support on aft side of fire wall on .375 stand offs . with a 1.25 sq in opening in firewall an esc mounted directly behind opening....aa battery mounted behind esc also in airflow..now to the rear have also fabricated some more loovers facing in a rearward direction to aide or create a vacumn with air flow 2 sets of loovers one on each side with a comdined opening of 4.46 sq inchs...heres my thoughts2.25 sq in air intake ...with a 1.25 sq inch in fire wall esc an battery in air stream an with air exhaust area in rear larger 4.46 total area will that create a venture effect in air stream over esc an battery ....or am i putting thought in the process . i guess my question is that proper or sufficent air flow

murankar

Staff member
Any vents in the front that have direct air flow will aid in cooling. Having a way for the air to the rear of the air craft will benefit from this. Unless you plan on pushing the esc and ambient temps are close 90° f. you may have to worry a bit. Normally if your esc is paired correctly to the motor then heat should not be to much of a problem.

Top Bottom