General Rudder acting up

Tony

Staff member
Speaking of trains, you wouldn't happen to have a controller you don't use anymore would you? Thinking about making a hot wire cutter and those are perfect. Just need it to be able to handle the amps.

murankar

Staff member
People here will assist with a complete step by step setup. One member did a complete nitro setup on a heli. Electrics are way easier to setup. Since you have the dx6 all you need now are some rxs to bind to and your set for any aircraft. Good luck with your decision.

RMB677

Tony, I've used foam in shaping mountains on my layout. To do this I used a 40 watt AC transformer and made a "cutter" using brass rods forming two arcs, one end attached to a wood handle and the power leads attached at the same point with nichrom wire stretched across the opening. Worked great. You should be able to find a cheap 40 watt transformer on e-bay for under $40, rule of thumb, max. $1/watt. Look under "O" gauge trains.

Re: HbK4 - One last thing I haven't tried is to change the belt. Since I already have a spare all it'll cost is time.

Tony

Staff member
yeah I was just looking for an adjustable way to cut the foam. Use it for not only short nichrome wire, but also have the option to crank up the wattage and use an 8' wire as well. I guess I could always use a rheostat with an old computer power supply. Just wanted something a little cleaner lol. I'm picky lmao.

As for the belt, unless yours is loose or broke, I don't think that will make much of a difference but it's worth a try.

RMB677

The saga continues. The gyro on the heli is a head lock, original manufacturer's equipment. I've increased what they call "delay", i.e. gain, on the gyro itself, with 65% on the Tx and that seems to help a bit, the "kicks" aren't as severe nor as frequent. One thing I did note is that with the rudder trim centered, at 0, the LED indicater stays lit solid. When I add a bit of rudder trim the LED starts flashing. Is this normal? The instruction sheet that came with the gyro gives the impression that any flashing is indicative of a problem.

I did also did a visual swash plate leveling that seems to help overall. I've a swash plate tool on order and will tear down the head assembly and start setup from scratch.

murankar

Staff member
As far as the "Kick" goes, lower the gain by a point or two and test, then repeat that process until the kick is gone. Now for the trim, if I am mistaken then correct me. You want to trim the tail while in rate mode, then "re-boot" the gyro. Once that is set flip into head hold and see what happens. From Tony's videos and other articles/videos I seen trimming should be done in rate mode. This is because the tail will always recenter after stick input. At one time I think I saw people just plugging the tail servo into channel four and ground testing that way. Once it is set up plug it back into the gryo and flip to hh mode.

Tony

Staff member
You don't want to use trim or subtrim on your tail. IT's best to either move the servo fore or aft or play with the linkage to stop any drift. The blinking is the gyro telling you the stick is not centered and not where it initialized at.

RMB677

Thanks guys. These are things that they never mention in the instruction manuals and if you don't happen to watch the right video you miss the hint. It would be nice if someone, hint-hint, would put a what if manual together, problem => soulution. Probably make a few $'s from the newbies like me.

Roger

RMB677

I've reached the proverbial straw this morning with the HBK4. It seems that as soon as I get something corrected something else goes, its nickle and diming me and making UPS stock go up. I'd like to sell it for parts along with my extra parts. $60 + $20 UPS. I placed an order for a Blade 450 BNF this morning. I was strongly considering a T-Rex but feel I should learn to fly with a set up heli before I attempt a kit.

I've been having a problem trying to list on the sell forum. Contact me if iterested.

Roger

Tony

Staff member
I now see what you are seeing and I have made it Priority #1 for today. I should have this fixed soon I hope. I will post here as well in the announcements section when I'm done.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to talk about an issue that was back in the far corner of the attic under boxes and news paper protected by spiders, this was it. But, it's fixed now and post away!

Top Bottom