General Rudder acting up

RMB677

This evening while practicing I've been having problems with the rudder suddenly kicking to point the heli 90 deg to the left, tail to the right. Its almost as if something hangs up and suddenly breaks free. I'm using the DX6i, I have th gyro at 60%, 65 caused tail wobble. The only change since yesterday is that I used rudder sub-trim to center the servo arm, the gyro switch was in the 1 position when centering, 0 when flying. Any advise anyone can give is appreciated. Its hard enough learning on my own with out gremlins getting in the way.:nightmare:

Tony

Staff member
Oh those gremlins are the devil in this hobby lol. I would pop the linkage off the servo and move it by hand to see if you feel any kinks. If not, then you are looking at something electrical. To me this sounds a lot like a glitch. Make sure your gyro is secured really well with foam tape so it will reduce vibrations. If that is okay, try another servo on the tail to see if that will take care of the issue.

What servo/gyro are you using and what kind of helicopter is this?

RMB677

Tony
Thanks for the quick response. The heli is an E-sky Honeybee King 4 without the body and upgraded with a Spectrum DX6i and AR6115e. The gyro and servos are the original factory equipment. It all worked fine yesterday and started acting up this evening.
Roger

Tony

Staff member
What about the mounting of the gyro? Is it good and secure? Do you happen to have another gyro and servo you can test out?

RMB677

The gyro and servo are securely in place. At this point I don't have any spare servos, nor gyro. With the questionable quality I've seen with the E-sky products I'm not sure whether I want to seek another brand servo with the same mounting pattern or go back with a direct replacement, ditto for the gyro if needed. One of my problems is that there are no hobby shops (especially heli) within a reasonable distance and I need to order via the internet and take my chances that the replacements will fit if another brand.

Lee

If it was just the once. Its probably just a radio glitch. I would fly again after a tail inspection, and be extra careful for the first few flights. If it happens again then start to look more closely.

RMB677

Placed an order for a replacement servo today, I went with E-sky just to remove a variable.
Tony, I noted in your DX6i set up video 4 that you use a GY48V gyro. Since that may be the next thing I replace I looked it up and will probably give it a try if needed. When starting out with a new gyro where should the adjustment pots be set, centered and do the tuning with the Tx? I'm also guessing that the 3rd plug they show in the GY48V photo is the servo lead. I'm having some computer trouble and couldn't get at the manual. (Service tech this afternoon, I hope)

Tony

Staff member
That gyro is a good entry level gyro. I set the delay to 0 and the travel to wherever I need it for the servo travel. If you are using a digital servo, put the switch to digital otherwise leave it on analog. And the reverse switch will depend on the servo being used. Set your gain in the Tx to 65% to start and try it out. Let me know.

RMB677

My replacement servo came in today. I just changed it out and tested flew the heli. Still getting the same response, 90 deg. nose kick to the left. Guess I'll get a gyro on order and give that a try. Another thought is to get someone to look over my sholder at "monitor" on the DX6i and see if there's a rudder spike when it happens, I hope its not the Tx.

Roger

RMB677

The new gyro came in today and was installed, same problem is still happening, ccw kick. I can't see anything mechanical, belts tight, everything moves freely. Any other ideas?

Tony

Staff member
The only other thing I can think of is either you are catching a glitch somewhere, or your Rx has a bad connection in it. I hate tracking down these things for reasons that have become apparent to you now lol. Do you by chance have another Rx?

RMB677

I contacted Horizon Hobby to ask if there is a means of checking if my problem could be the Tx or Rx, they advised to watch the "Monitor" on the DX6i to see if it moved when the kick occured, it didn't. I responded to Horizon and they advised that it could be the Rx and would send me a replacement if it was still under warrenty. Sent a copy of my receipt, less than 30 days, and they replyed that a replacement Rx is in the mail. It is a pleasure dealing with a firm that stands behind their products warranty without running you through a maze.

Now I hope that solves the problem, can't be much more left than the ESC that could be replaced. Stand by for the further adventures of the HBK4 gremlin.

Roger

RMB677

Well I'm ready to give up on the HBK4, after changing the Rx I still have the problem. I think its time to shelve this heli and get something better since the lack of confidence/control is keeping me from making any progress in learning. I'm thinking of getting a Blade 450 BNF Basic. Supposidly they come set up and only require binding. Any comments?

Roger

Tony

Staff member
I would skip the blade and go for Align if you are wanting a CP heli. I just have an issue with all of that plastic, and blade is quite expensive on their parts when they are plastic. But, with that said, the blade 450 will be better than what you have now with the K4.

RMB677

Hi Tony,
The Align would be my first choice if there were a 450 sized heli that was a BNF for a DX6i. All that I see are kits. My major problem is trying to learn, and set up, a heli with only videos to go on. I could put a kit together but again the set up would be my problem. As for help, the only local club I'm aware of is a small group flying fixed wing.
Roger

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Hi Tony,
The Align would be my first choice if there were a 450 sized heli that was a BNF for a DX6i. All that I see are kits. My major problem is trying to learn, and set up, a heli with only videos to go on. I could put a kit together but again the set up would be my problem. As for help, the only local club I'm aware of is a small group flying fixed wing.
Roger

Setting up the heli is the easy part! Lol all kinds of help right here on this sight and others. Lot s of you tube videos too!
Tony's right. You allready have the dx6 tx go for a good quality heli too. There fun to build too!

Tony

Staff member
The setup on an Align heli is actually not that bad. Most of the links on the head are non adjustable so setup is pretty quick. My videos show how to go through those heads that have multiple links in them, but some are not that way. With a good gyro, tail setup is a cinch. And as always, we are here to help walk you through it every step of the way.

RMB677

Y'all have me looking at the T-Rex 450 Sport V2 Super Combo, the only problem I have is Helipal has the best price but is located in China and I have reservations about ordering expensive items overseas, whether it be Europe or Asia. Also I haven't looked at shipping costs. The domestic prices put the T-Rex 450 out of my reach at this time. I guess I'm going to keep mulling over the Blade BNF Basic for a bit more before I pull the trigger.:nightmare:
Glad I found this site, at least there are folks who've been through the delimas I'm going through.
Roger

Tony

Staff member
This is who I just ordered my Pro v2 from. Shipped the next morning priority. You will get yours faster than I do since he is in Ny and I'm in Ok.

NEW! Align T-REX 450 Sport V2 Super Combo Helicopter KX015081 | eBay

This one from the same seller is $3.05 cheaper lol.

Align T-Rex 450 Sport V2 Super Combo w/Motor/ESC/Gyro/Servos (Carbon Blades) | eBay

Or you can save your pennies and get the one I got. Much easier to setup the head since there are only two blade grip links and 3 swash links that are all the same length. But the gyro is a little harder to get set but still pretty easy... This one I would suggest over the sport.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Align-T...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item58921f94d4

RMB677

Now you have me drooling. I'll probably go with the sport since its in the range I'm willing to spend. Since he has a few in stock I think I'll sleep on it. If I didn't have to open the store in the a.m. I'm sure a frustrating 10 min. fighting the HbK4 in the morning would push me over the edge.;) This hobby has realy taught me to deal with frustration, not like my other, Lionel trains.
Roger

Top Bottom